Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you are missing something. US Divers aka Aqualung only sold their first and second stages as pairs. The first stages were different and had different names, but they all used the same second stage. The only difference between the second stages was the sticker with the first stage name. That sticker is missing on your photo so there's no way to tell what the first stage is.

"1085" is the second stage that followed this one. I believe the name is just the model number from the catalog.

You can see all the catalogs from that era here: https://personal.filesanywhere.com/guest/fs?v=8d6d638a5f6075b5a46a

Click on the "I Agree", then "Manuals and Catalogs", then scroll down and click on "US Divers Catalogs". Happy hunting.
Ok thanks !

so here's my deal - I collect everything James Bond and I'm now getting into my Thunderball collection. I just want the regulator (2nd stage) to look like the one in the photo. That's all I really care about. It will be displayed with what I buy. So I guess I could get away with using either a Calypso, Conshelf or a Deepstar ? If I'm I following you correctly?

In the pics I attached - it's def not a 1085 because that sticker is a different aqualung logo. The photo on the Thunderball card has "aqualung" written through the logo. The 1085 does not have that and the Calypso, Conshelf and Deepstar does. Do you see what I mean ? So I think I've narrowed it down to those 3. Unless they're more ? Lol

I'd like to have as accurate as possible, so if you think there's a big difference btw the 3 (Calypso, Conshelf or Deepstar) or one is more accurate the other 2, please let me know. I attached a bunch of photos. You tell me which one I should get ? I'm just displaying in my apartment. Thanks 🙏

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_3795.jpeg
    IMG_3795.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3801.jpeg
    IMG_3801.jpeg
    9.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3806.jpeg
    IMG_3806.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3805.jpeg
    IMG_3805.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3797.jpeg
    IMG_3797.jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 36
so here's my deal - I collect everything James Bond and I'm now getting into my Thunderball collection. I just want the regulator (2nd stage) to look like the one in the photo. That's all I really care about. It will be displayed with what I buy. So I guess I could get away with using either a Calypso, Conshelf or a Deepstar ? If I'm I following you correctly?
You are correct. I checked the catalogs and that style faceplate started in 1965. Since the movie was filmed in 1965, that second stage was available with any of these first stages: Calypso, Calypso J, Conshelf VI, and Deepstar.

If you are trying to build a scene... The Calypso and Conshelf were the most likely options for a serious diver of the day. The Calypso J was sort of for rich guys who wanted the latest tech and the Deepstar was the budget option.

I'd like to have as accurate as possible, so if you think there's a big difference btw the 3 (Calypso, Conshelf or Deepstar) or one is more accurate the other 2, please let me know. I attached a bunch of photos. You tell me which one I should get ?
The three Aqualung seconds you mentioned are the same... only difference is the curved sticker (which is faintly visible in the photo, but only as a shape... not readable). The sticker was determined by the first stage it was attached to... so the best answer would be to find a shot of that diver where the first stage is visible.

You are correct. I checked the catalogs and that style faceplate started in 1965. Since the movie was filmed in 1965, that second stage was available with any of these first stages: Calypso, Calypso J, Conshelf VI, and Deepstar.

If you are trying to build a scene... The Calypso and Conshelf were the most likely options for a serious diver of the day. The Calypso J was sort of for rich guys who wanted the latest tech and the Deepstar was the budget option.
Ok thank you brother! Looks like I'm getting close.....

@Nemrod

Is your museum open to the public?

:)
Thanks for the compliment but I think I would probably disappoint, most of what remains are things that have sentimental value. My wife keeps asking why I need so much old junk :no:.

Ok thanks !

In the pics I attached - it's def not a 1085 because that sticker is a different aqualung logo. The photo on the Thunderball card has "aqualung" written through the logo. The 1085 does not have that and the Calypso, Conshelf and Deepstar does. Do you see what I mean ? So I think I've narrowed it down to those 3. Unless they're more ? Lol

I'd like to have as accurate as possible, so if you think there's a big difference btw the 3 (Calypso, Conshelf or Deepstar) or one is more accurate the other 2, please let me know. I attached a bunch of photos. You tell me which one I should get ? I'm just displaying in my apartment. Thanks 🙏

Dave

The logo you have circled has come to have a less than PC nickname which I will not repeat here. But look at it closely and think about what part of the (male) anatomy it might look like o_O.

As to the reg Mr. Bond has, it is most likely a Calypso (not a J model). Any of the two screw second stages would do for your collection. Mr. Bond would approve and not likely know the difference. All of that era that has the two ambient vents on the front cover should have the, uh, (nasty) logo decal :eyebrow:.

Tell her she got it easy. You could have been a tractor collector.
No, I just have (Lawn Boy) lawnmowers, bicycles, guns, and a bunch of other junk :).

Uh, on the regulator thing. I could piece together a completely non-functional unit. It would be missing the exhaust tee and the period mouthpiece and some internal parts. Both of those things plus innards are a bit rare. It would be a J model first with a bent yoke screw. Free plus shipping.

@James79 was make some of the exhaust tees??????? Trident used to make them also.

But, the regs show up on eBay frequently mostly complete and usually pretty cheap as they are essentally worthless for diving. In fact, some of the guys up in the Vintage Forum might could supply non-useable parts as well.

Thanks guys ! I just purchased a Calypso in very good condition on EBay for $60 shipped. I thought it was a fair price considering the condition and the previous sales history I saw. Whatta ya think guys ?

Looks good.

Don't try to dive it though :)

Edit - It's a Calypso, not a Calypso J despite the listing. But that's most likely what the original diver had anyway.

Back
Top Bottom