Aqualung Wave - adding integrated weight pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WolfSpring

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I picked up a used Aqualung Wave at a price i couldn't resist. I noticed it did not have an integrated weight system and I found several Securelock II Kits that can be used with it. But I can not find any pictures showing how this works? My intent is to use this for my daughter, it is an XXS and was a very lightly used rental compared to the other sizes. Does anyone have any experience with the integrated weight add on kits, would it be easier for her to use a separate weight belt? She is going to get certified next month and we will be using the shop gear for the class so that it is easier for the instructor to work with her, but I want to have her set up with her own gear so we can start diving together when she is done.

Any instructor can work with aqualung wave.
While instructor is working easier with your daughter, with their gear, it is definitely better for your daughter to start with gear that she will be using.

add on integrated weight pocket kit will improve diver comfort significantly both surface and underwater.
but your daughter should learn weight belt method as well in case off accident dropped pockets.

If she has her own gear she may as well use it in class and get used to it. I don't think you need to be trying to make it easier for the instructor, not like she is showing up with a vintage double hose reg. The Wave is like the simplest BC going.

You should keep in mind that it's not enough to just buy the SureLock II weight pockets, but also the sheaths to upgrade the wave to accept the weight pockets. The part number from Aqualung for this kit is 427103. Divers Supply has a kit like this for sale. This kit also contains instructions on how to install it.
The sheaths themselves are easy to install, they get wedged into a small pocket and hold in place with velcro, as shown in the picture below.

Integrated.jpg
Weight Pockets.jpg

Attached is the Owners manual for the wave which has a whole section about the integrated weights.

Attachments

• Wave - Owners Manual (2014).pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
You should keep in mind that it's not enough to just buy the SureLock II weight pockets, but also the sheaths to upgrade the wave to accept the weight pockets. The part number from Aqualung for this kit is 427103. Divers Supply has a kit like this for sale. This kit also contains instructions on how to install it.
The sheaths themselves are easy to install, they get wedged into a small pocket and hold in place with velcro, as shown in the picture below.

View attachment 813415View attachment 813420

Attached is the Owners manual for the wave which has a whole section about the integrated weights.
This is what I was looking for, but could not find a picture of. Thank you, that kit is exactly what I had found and was going to order, but couldn't see how it would work. The wave I am working with does not have a front split like that the pocket opens in the back and only has the opening for the console on the upper part of the front flaps. I am wondering if there are different models, or if I have to split some stitching to open the front part. I will take another look when I get home, maybe I missed something.

Thank you all for your suggestions on having her use it for class, this was a used rental so I'm sure they have worked with it a lot and know how. And it's best to get her comfortable in her own gear so that she can easily transition from training to it.

EDIT: Looking at some online pictures it looks like a wave JR, so maybe the upgrade kid won't work with it? Going to do some more research, but thank you all for the help.

Didn't want to keep editing that post. It looks like due to it's size they make a completely different weight system specifically for it that did not come with it. I will check with the shop where i bought it see if it got left out, if not they have them for $24.

Weight systems.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom