Aqualung's stance on e commerce

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ducst4:
Leisure Pro (LP) is the genius in the entire Scuba Diving industry.

ScubaPro (SP) and Aqualung (AL) supply them directly. See previous posts from manufacturers like mdb@Apollo and large retailers like Larry@ScubaToys, Phil@DiveSportsOnline and Hollywood Divers on this never ending issue, yet SP and AL claims otherwise.

I joined this thread late, but do not recall seeing this claim by MDB or Larry. Can you post links? I can't find examples of this claim. Please, MDB or Larry, set me straight if this is true. I'd hate to think better of AL or SP if it is.

friscuba:
I joined this thread late, but do not recall seeing this claim by MDB or Larry. Can you post links? I can't find examples of this claim. Please, MDB or Larry, set me straight if this is true. I'd hate to think better of AL or SP if it is.

While my memory may be incomplete, I don't think there is any post where I or anyone else involved in the commerce side of the industry directly said that the company we are discussing absolutely sold directly to the grey market. We have implied that and he posited that there seems to be no other explaination for the grey markets ability to get the new products so quickly.......such as was the case with the Legend LX DVT regulator.....in the grey market within 4 days after the first regulator shipments.

Phil Ellis

Sounds like Aqualung is stuck in the 1980s and I'll continue to purchase grey market products. Their outrageous retail pricing and online sales policies force me to.

AquaLung's statement, "We were the first diving equipment manufacturer to employ Net Enforcers to assist in reducing “third party” or “grey market” shipments from unauthorized sources," made me curious, so I did a little Google search and found the following site: http://www.netenforcers.com/pages/anti-grey-market-enforcement.cfm

So, it does look like AquaLung is going to take a proactive approach to the gray market. However, it will be interesting to see how far they are willing to go to stop the flow of their products to LeisurePro. As has been mentioned before, they might be cutting off their nose to spite their face on this one, as reducing sales is going to have a definite impact on their bottom line.

Swan1172:
AquaLung's statement, "We were the first diving equipment manufacturer to employ Net Enforcers to assist in reducing “third party” or “grey market” shipments from unauthorized sources," made me curious, so I did a little Google search and found the following site: http://www.netenforcers.com/pages/anti-grey-market-enforcement.cfm

So, it does look like AquaLung is going to take a proactive approach to the gray market. However, it will be interesting to see how far they are willing to go to stop the flow of their products to LeisurePro. As has been mentioned before, they might be cutting off their nose to spite their face on this one, as reducing sales is going to have a definite impact on their bottom line.

I am sure NetEnforcers is a great company and probably provides a wonderful benefit to some companies. Unfortunately, about all they can do is keep the legal dealer base straight. Even that is a doubtful issue. AL has been with net enforcers for well over two years now, as have several other scuba manufacturers. I have yet to see any evidence that NetEnforcers has made a dent in the problems about which we constantly discuss.

Phil Ellis

friscuba:
This has probably been addressed already, sorry if it's a repeat. The original mai lorder caltalogs still priced things at essentially MSRP. Then they started dealing with stores that offered the goods for the same price. It's called volume... get people to sell your product for you. It was only in the last coulple of decades that you saw companies popping up that offered cut rate warehouse prices on the internet. Problem with the cut rate internet dealers is that they sell at a low markup that a traditional retailer cannot list at and remain in business.
Price is not the only differentiator. I'm a relative newcomer, but what I see as the achillies heel of the LDS is that for years they have relied on just being there to generate business. It didn't matter what they sold or what they charged, they were the Local dive shop, or the shop where you did your training and you would buy from them. This is the model that AL is trying to perpetuate. "You will buy or prodcuts at the LDS because you have to." For years, many shops relied on what was essentially a local monopoly. By definition, monopolies don't behave in the best interest of the consumers, so when other options come along, consumers flee.

If the LDS wants to survive, they can do so simply. Provide services that can't be gotten elsewhere. Do what they are good at. Be local, provide one on one service. Training, air, help to new divers. Prices will have to go down, but they won't ever need to match online. People expect to pay more at B&M stores, and they are willing to, within reason. But extortion won't do it.

PhilEllis:
I am sure NetEnforcers is a great company and probably provides a wonderful benefit to some companies. Unfortunately, about all they can do is keep the legal dealer base straight. Even that is a doubtful issue. AL has been with net enforcers for well over two years now, as have several other scuba manufacturers. I have yet to see any evidence that NetEnforcers has made a dent in the problems about which we constantly discuss.

Phil Ellis

Here is how NetEnforcers say the scuba industry can stop gray market sales:

1. Shut down all use of copyrighted images and text by gray market sellers.
  2. File lawsuits for continued copyright and trademark violations.
  3. Patent products, issue licenses to reseller and sue those that are selling without a license.

To be honest, I think NetEnforcers is going about stopping gray market sales in the wrong way. They are attacking the demand side rather than the supply side. Instead of stopping the flow of products into the gray market, they are simply trying to keep you, the consumer, from finding them. They have pretty much said, "Well, we can't stop LeisurePro from getting gear, but we can stop them from advertising that they have it." That is kind of like the DEA saying, we can stop the flow of illegal drugs by preventing drug dealers from advertising.

Swan1172:
[*]Patent products, issue licenses to reseller and sue those that are selling without a license.

Sounds like that could restrict an individual from selling their used reg. :confused:

Soggy:
Yup. If Amazon.Com sold the gear I wanted, I'd go there.

Funny you should mention amazon.com. Try a search on Amazon for Aqualung, Apeks, Suunto, or Scubapro, and you will notice that Amazon is reselling for LeisurePro.

An example:

Scubapro MK25/S600 Regulator
List Price: $649.00
Price: $424.95
You Save: $224.05 (35%)
Availability: In Stock. Ships from and sold by Leisure Pro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom