Aqualung's war with Online Consumers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oil is discovered, drilled, refined and sold here. They charge us more for the gas simply because they know they can get away with it (lack of competition plays a big role). It's an outrage. Often times Anchorage has the highest gas price in the nation (as measured by some survey of 100 cities or something) - and is $1/more above the national average. Last I looked, we were 40 cents above the national average - and again - it's not due to tax either.

In Texas, we pay significantly more for natural gas than they do in the northeast, where we pipe it to. When it crosses state lines, it is subject to interstate commerce regulation by the Feds. As long as it stays in state, they can charge whatever the market will bear.

One thing that kills me about AL is the fine print with their free parts program. It's every other year or annually if needed which leaves you to pay for the parts in the "off years." And don't miss your annual servicing by more than a month, or kiss your free parts goodby forever.

Being in the military, I can't risk missing out on my free parts because I'm deployed.

How much does the parts cost on servicing a reg(1st & 2nd stage)? Just curious, so if I have to pay for labor anyway, I would like to know what the parts cost to help me make a decision on whether to buy gray market or not.

I'm sure prices will vary some with dealer....

but from what I've seen Aqualung's 2nd stage kits run about $12 - $13 each
first stage kits run about $24-$28 each.

so $50 or a little more average for a first stage and two second stage kits.

the Apeks kits I think run a little more from what I've seen, which is odd because of them can interchange and use Aqualung kits. (go figure).

I too will not make new item purchases of either ScubaPro or Aqualung equipment because of their marketing policies. There is equivalent (or better) gear from other manufacturers who are much more supportive of their customers and I encourage all divers to support them.

I too will not make new item purchases of either ScubaPro or Aqualung equipment because of their marketing policies. There is equivalent (or better) gear from other manufacturers who are much more supportive of their customers and I encourage all divers to support them.

Since I am in the market for gear. Which companies have better support for thier customers? Thankyou

I'm sure prices will vary some with dealer....

but from what I've seen Aqualung's 2nd stage kits run about $12 - $13 each
first stage kits run about $24-$28 each.

so $50 or a little more average for a first stage and two second stage kits.

the Apeks kits I think run a little more from what I've seen, which is odd because of them can interchange and use Aqualung kits. (go figure).

So I am only saving 50 or so dollars every other year? thats not that much. I could buy the gear for less and it will take 4-5 years before it becomes a financial wash/break even. Heck by then I might want a different Reg.

Since I am in the market for gear. Which companies have better support for thier customers? Thankyou
There are a lot of good companies out there. I have had excellent service from Oceanic, they've always gone the extra mile. I've also had very good support from Mares.

I'd suggest one of the more progressive companies like Dive Rite or Zeagle. They support internet sales and are provide parts support directly to divers.

So I am only saving 50 or so dollars every other year? thats not that much. I could buy the gear for less and it will take 4-5 years before it becomes a financial wash/break even. Heck by then I might want a different Reg.

Yeup.

as a note though, some shops won't sell the parts kits independently. Remember also that the parts kits are mostly just a small bag of o-rings. Total manufacturer costs on them has to be less than a buck total, when purchased in bulk. so it's a pretty bad markup. (of course there is some liability in it being breathing gear and not weed eater carburator o-rings).

I'd suggest one of the more progressive companies like Dive Rite or Zeagle. They support internet sales and are provide parts support directly to divers.

Yeah. Aqualung makes great regulators, but I'm doubtfull that I'd buy any more of their products just because of how they treat their customers and dealers. :shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom