Aracaju Brazil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kev7

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone been diving around Aracaju Brazil, just South of Sao Paulo?? And if so can you give me some info.... very much appreciated....Kevin

Kev7:
Has anyone been diving around Aracaju Brazil, just South of Sao Paulo?? And if so can you give me some info.... very much appreciated....Kevin

Kevin, could you confirm your question. I live in São Paulo and I don't know of any town called Aracaju just to the south within the state of São Paulo. I just checked my local road map and couldn't find it.

There is a well known place called Aracaju up in the North East, in the state of Sergipe (SE), about 2173km from São Paulo.

Now there is a place called Morro de São Paulo up in the North East, state of Bahia (BA) close to Salvador, with some good diving but Aracaju (SE) is to the North of this.

Mike.

Mike,
I will be coming to Sao Paulo in about a week.
A friend and I will go to Ilhabela for the week end.
Can you tell me what kind of water temperature to expect?
Should I bring my 5MM or 3MM wetsuit?
Do they use DIN or Yoke connectors on their tanks?
My friend is a new diver and does know the answers to these questions.
I really thank you for any help you can give me,
Roy

miketsp:
Kevin, could you confirm your question. I live in São Paulo and I don't know of any town called Aracaju just to the south within the state of São Paulo. I just checked my local road map and couldn't find it.

There is a well known place called Aracaju up in the North East, in the state of Sergipe (SE), about 2173km from São Paulo.

Now there is a place called Morro de São Paulo up in the North East, state of Bahia (BA) close to Salvador, with some good diving but Aracaju (SE) is to the North of this.

Mike.
yes I am refering to Aracaju in the state of Sergipe, I think. Are there 2 Aracaju or more maybe around Rio De janeiro??? I looked up google earth search and it showed Aracaju South of Sao Paulo but looked at www.mytravelguide.com map and it shows it North like you said....but again I think its in the State of Sergipe that I am talking about as well. ...........Thanks Kevin

amport:
Mike,
I will be coming to Sao Paulo in about a week.
A friend and I will go to Ilhabela for the week end.
Can you tell me what kind of water temperature to expect?
Should I bring my 5MM or 3MM wetsuit?
Do they use DIN or Yoke connectors on their tanks?
My friend is a new diver and does know the answers to these questions.
I really thank you for any help you can give me,
Roy

I replied to your PM before I saw this post so since the info is general I will copy it here.

Roy,
Definitely a 5mm for diving in the Southeast of Brazil.
3mm only if you are going up to the Northeast (Salvador/Recife/Noronha).
Expect between 20-23C. You may be lucky and get a little more or unlucky and get a little less.
Yoke is standard for all recreational diving in Brazil although some places have cylinder DIN valves with the insert plug permanently in to adapt them to yoke. So if your own reg is DIN you would have to check with the operator first.
A couple of links that may help:
http://www.brasilmergulho.com/port/...ela/index.shtml

Operator (site in English) with details of some other points:
http://www.colonialdiver.com.br/

A full week may be a little too long for diving at Ilha Bela, the diving there is not that fantastic. So remember that you are not that far from Ilha Grande/Angra dos Reis which would normally offer better diving.

Have a good trip.
Mike

PS. Thinking about the wetsuit, nowadays I normally use a 7mm semi-dry but many people dive with 5mm and survive.

Mike,

Thanks for the help. Your info was very helpful.

I went diving for 2 days with True Blue out of Buzios. That is a 2 hour drive outside of Rio. The diving was great but you were right about needing at least a 5mm 2 piece wet suit. I even used a hood on a few dives. I saw what looked like flying fish, big wings with blue markings. No one spoke English but they called them something like “cardios”. I know they were not flying fish. Never saw any like them in the Caribbean. Very cool fish.

This is a lame trip report I know but I never claimed to be a writer. Enjoy diving in Brazil I know I did.

Roy

amport:
Mike,

Thanks for the help. Your info was very helpful.

I went diving for 2 days with True Blue out of Buzios. That is a 2 hour drive outside of Rio. The diving was great but you were right about needing at least a 5mm 2 piece wet suit. I even used a hood on a few dives. I saw what looked like flying fish, big wings with blue markings. No one spoke English but they called them something like “cardios”. I know they were not flying fish. Never saw any like them in the Caribbean. Very cool fish.

This is a lame trip report I know but I never claimed to be a writer. Enjoy diving in Brazil I know I did.

Roy

Glad you enjoyed it. Buzios can be quite good, it really depends on the time of year and the conditions.
I've dived with True Blue a couple of times. They used to have some neat T-shirts with an Angler fish with very large teeth...

The fish you saw is normally called "Coio" or "Falso Voador" which means "False Flyer".
Here is a link to a picture

http://www.angra-dos-reis.com/explorando_paraiso/aloino/aloino9.htm

They are found in most of Brazil and are very common. I remember a few years ago doing a night dive a little to the south of where you were and the sand was just covered with thousands of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom