Archon Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I've had a total of three Archon V10s dive lights. I like them very much. Small, easy to use, just the right beam for my style. I live in Thailand and it is relatively inexpensive to have an Archon light shipped from China. Other imported lights are much more expensive.

The first Archon failed after a couple of years. The battery compartment flooded due to what I think was a defective o-ring. (Perhaps I failed to replace it when needed.)

The second, purchased before the first one failed, bit the dust this weekend. Flooded again, but this time it was the electronics/switch/LED compartment. Perhaps due to a failed switch seal? This one was only a year old.

Now I need another light. Although the Archons get good reviews, I'm wary.

Am I just a victim of bad luck or are the Archon lights not that reliable?

(BTW, the third one, less than a year old, continues to function flawlessly.)

you need to be replacing the o-rings more frequently, probably 1x/year if you're diving regularly, as well as making sure they stay lubed.

look at ANO lights, I've been very happy with mine for the last year of cave diving.

I have two Archon lights: v10 and a w17v. I just ordered a third (v10s) and am waiting for it to make its way to me from the other side of the planet.

Out of all the "knock off" lights from China, Archon seems to actually be producing a fairly good and consistent product. I've never had one flood or fail on me.

For the price I paid for my new v10s I'll be happy if it lasts a year, but I trust it will last longer. However, I do wish they would use larger o-rings and bigger threads. I have a feeling that fine threads are more prone to wear if not kept clean. Since the o-rings are usually very thin it doesn't take much damage to cause them to fail.

My favorite and go to back up light is a Princeton Tec Impact XL LED. They're cheap, use AA batteries, and very rugged. Definitely not the brightest, but definitely bright enough if my Archon fails underwater.

On another note, if I end up liking the v10s... I may order two more and attach all three to an aluminum Goodman handle somehow (diy engineering).

I'm sold. I just ordered another V10s. Thirty bucks. Hard to beat. Twice that here in Thailand.

Back
Top Bottom