Are Atomic Regs really worth the money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

titanium is a flammable metal. It looks like a 4th of July sparkler when lit...not something I want in my mouth around compressed air, and especially around higher O2 content EAN.

-Mike

Hi
i dislike the Titanium because:

Important!: - i think a reg. must be able to grow with you in your dive-career. Titanium regs can not! THis is because you can'nt use them with higher o2 percentages. Some tit. regs allow Nitrox i heard but even then i dont trust them!

- would you go into tech diving you gonna need a non tit. reg. Perferrely by many techies : Apeks. (DS4 first stage - tx50 second stage)

Dont get fooled by a nice and a very very cool website. (i have to say their website is far more cooler comapred to Apeks' website (o: ) But underwater this does nt matter :( :wink:

A good characteristic of a good reg. is it good reputation and flexibilty. Atomic is good at the first point and weak at the second point i think. Apeks is very good at both!

xerxes

"
Originally posted by SPEEDSTER
titanium is a flammable metal. It looks like a 4th of July sparkler when lit...not something I want in my mouth around compressed air, and especially around higher O2 content EAN."

Just about everything is "flammable" in high o2 environments. I've seen Inconel, brass and stainless steel go up like sparklers, too.

The thing is, titanium doesn't start to combust until it reaches temperatures far beyond the range at which supersonic gas friction causes O2 fires. The fear of it "looking like a 4th of July sparkler" in any diving or filling application is pure paranoia. Furthermore, the stats I am looking at are for pure titanium. The alloys used in regs react at even higher temps, something like 3500 deg Centrigrade.

I admit to liking the apeks regs myself. But I think that the atomic regs are every bit as good, and better for travel (due to light weight and durability) especially if you forget about rinsing or trust the lazy boat crew to do it(but we all know that we're perfect saints about rinsing our gear everytime)

$1600? Not for me, but I won't sneer at them.

Atomic regs are really expensive. In my opinion, its not worth buying the titanium version since it costs too much. Yeah, T1 is light, but thats it.(unless you want to make a neckclace out of it.! :>) You get the same performance with the lower models. If you really like Atomics, get the B1 or Z1 models. They cost less!

I have Atomic B1s, Apeks TX100s, Scubapro MK20s and Poseidon Odin/Jetstreams. The first three performed the same. Although they have different features, they're all minor. The last one, well, thats another story. Either you hate it or like it.

If you're just doing recreational diving, the Atomics are fine. Its your cash anyway. If you have extra cash you can buy me too! :>

If you're doing recreational diving and gearing towards technical, I suggest you get the right gear the first time around, saves you big bucks! Here, Apeks and Poseidon shines!

if you are worried about o2 get the Atomic M1 its safe up to 80% O2 from the factory ....I love my atomic better then any I have owned

Apeks is the way to go.

This is totally irrelevant, but the last people I saw with Atomic Titanium regs never made it through Advanced Open Water at the quarry. It had nothing to do with the regs, just that they were the kind of people that felt expensive equipment would make up for lack of skill and hand-eye coordination.

:eek:ff:

~Marlinspike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom