Are BC dumps really needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have dove alot of rentals, and some have dump valves and some don't. I always feel uncomfortable about using them... somehow, I feel that they will get more water in the bc... but not sure. I more often just use the BC inflator hose to empty the BC.

Just bought a new BC (tusa imprex, the old model... )... It doesn't have any dump valves. I haven't dove it yet, but it has alot more lift than my old BC.

I am a practical person... the less the better. The plus I see is less moving parts, less problems, less complications. I have done without a dump valve before, and probably wouldn't miss it.

Can you tell me where you find it beneficial to have it?? If so, which position do you like it best?

where's the poll?

I find the bottom dump valve very useful. I shor dive allot and am horizontal when I need to dump air quickly. In that position it is very easy to pull the rear dump.

fisherdvm:
I have dove alot of rentals, and some have dump valves and some don't. I always feel uncomfortable about using them... somehow, I feel that they will get more water in the bc... but not sure. I more often just use the BC inflator hose to empty the BC.

Just bought a new BC (tusa imprex, the old model... )... It doesn't have any dump valves. I haven't dove it yet, but it has alot more lift than my old BC.

I am a practical person... the less the better. The plus I see is less moving parts, less problems, less complications. I have done without a dump valve before, and probably wouldn't miss it.

Can you tell me where you find it beneficial to have it?? If so, which position do you like it best?

I use them all the time. I use the dump value on my right shoulder of Knighthawk quite a bit. Depends in what position I am at the time I need to dump air.

LOL Maybe cuz I'm a geek, think the more dumps the better. I use them constantly and unless I’m having a really bad day don’t get any water in. Initially wanted to be sure I could find them quickly so practiced and then just never kicked the habit I guess.
Three on both BC’s, rear, and both shoulder so using what ever is best location, probably the rear the most. I appreciate dumping from the highest location vs maneuvering around to get air up top. If I was trying to squish out every speck of air I use the deflator button, but only done that to see how much left in there – never been much.

dlndavid:
where's the poll?
do it easy:
No poll, no posts!
undefined:
No poll? Are you ill?

Knock it off you guys, you made me cry like a baby by making fun of me polls!!

I am going to complain to Scubaboard's management....

:sprint:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom