Are Carter SMBs impractically large when folded?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've been reading old treads and see many comments regarding the bulk of Carters when folded.

At the moment, I use a small 3 foot Halcyon attached to spool in my pocket.

Would the smallest Carter personal float fit similarly stowed?

Depending m the dive location, I sometimes also stow the 6 foot Halcyon in my plate storage pack. Can the big Carters fit there?

Jim

jagfish:
I've been reading old treads and see many comments regarding the bulk of Carters when folded.

Depending m the dive location, I sometimes also stow the 6 foot Halcyon in my plate storage pack. Can the big Carters fit there?

Jim

Hi Jim,

I have a 50 lbs Carter, and it stows fine at the bottom of my plate. It is not however my favorite bag. The 50 lbs Carter is prone to "auto dump" if one is not careful.

The 100 lbs Carter works pretty well, mostly because with ~50 lbs of gas in it the "Autodump" feature is harder to actuate :05:

The 100 lbs Carter is a bit on the huge side when rolled up, compared to a comparable 50 "H" or DR or similar bag, but even so I don't find it much of a problem bungeed to the bottom of my plate.

I haven't tried it, but I'd guess either the 50 or 100 lbs carter would be a tight fit in a "MC" type pack.

Regards,

Tobin

Jagfish and Cool,

Are you referring to the Carter 50 or 100 lbs lift bags, or the Carter Personal Floats which come in 35, 50, 75 and 110 lb lifts? The lift bags are the triangular ones and the Personal floats are the tubes of varying lengths and diameters.

I can't speak for the Lift Bags but the Persoanl Floats don't have anything I am aware of that is called an Auto Dump. What is that? Are you referring to the overpressure valve?

I have a 75 lb Carter Personal float and have no issues with it related to size or air dumping. They are the best on the market. Made of heavy duty material. The 35 and 50 lbs Floats are very managable in size. The 75 is as large as I would personally want to go but the big size has come in handy in high seas and the extra diameter really keeps it from bending in the wind. I store my 75 lb float in a Dive Rite Quick Draw sleave on the bottom of my plate. It is tight but it works. Out of the way and secure and i don't ever notice it until needed.

The relevant dimensions are:

CBPF35 - Lift=35 lbs, Filled=60"x5", Volume=0.5 CF, Rolled=7.25"x3"
CBPF50 - Lift=50 lbs, Filled=108"x5", Volume=0.8 CF, Rolled7.25"x3.5"
CBPF75 - Lift=75 lbs, Filled=78"x7", Volume=1.2 CF, Rolled=9.25"x3.5"
SPC110 - Lift=110 lbs, Filled=108"x7", Volume=1.7 CF, Rolled=9.5"x3.875"

These are the correct statistics. The ones on the Carter site are wrong. Jim Carter knows it but they haven't gotten around to changing it quite yet. Too busy making great bags I guess.

Order direct from www.Carterbag.com or contact PhilEllis on Scuba Board if you want one. Great price and great service. His web site is :http://www.divesports.com/IndexPages_Cat/accessories_sub_liftbags.htm

LJ

jagfish:

Jim

Sorry - only have a steel ruler so it doesn't photograph well.

I keep this in my left pocket with my other "not likely to use, but I may need it stuff."

Hope this helps.

Ken

Sorry folks, I miss read the original question. All my comments are regarding Lift bags.

The "auto dump" feature I was referring too is the tendancy, at least for this hamfisted operator, to have the bag loose it's gas and "return to sender"

I like carter bags, tough as nails, great for lifting...

Tobin

Mo2vation:
Sorry - only have a steel ruler so it doesn't photograph well.

I keep this in my left pocket with my other "not likely to use, but I may need it stuff."

Hope this helps.

Ken

Thanks for the photos...

Jim

Does anyone offer the 75lb bag in the dual color scheme?

slingshot:
Does anyone offer the 75lb bag in the dual color scheme?

Jim Carter will custom make it for you anytime. You will have to pay the MSRP on his site, but for a custom bag i think that is really a good deal. Just email him at the address on his site. He usually gets back within a few days.

LJ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom