are divers doing their part?

Do you believe you have a special role to play in coral reef conservation?

• Yes -- i think divers should be among conservation leaders

Votes: 28 75.7%
  • No -- i don't dive coral reefs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sort of -- we should all care about ocean conservation, but being a diver is not relevant

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • No -- this is all just a bunch of liberal crap

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markrovner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As a new diver but somewhat experienced rabble-rouser, I am kind of surprised by what seems to be the lack of a leadership role being played by the dive community -- this is especially surprising given the shocking and dramatic decline of coral reefs worldwide.

I'm curious where folks stand on this issue.

As divers, most of us look forward to travel to the tropics and swim with the creatures that call the coral home. To be negilgent or disrespectful of this ecosystem is something that would be horrible for our passion. I keep an ever watchful eye on what is happening with the world and often wonder what I could do to help the cause, short of joining Greenpeace. This is something we all as divers should consider if we want to continue diving in this beautiful environment.

What can be done to help? Lots. But unfortunately there is no single organization you can go to for a comprehensive answer -- you'll need to do a little digging.

Here are a few places to start, and there are many I didn't list, and many I don't even know about:

www.reef.org -- learn to identify and count fish on your dive trips, and your fish counts will go into an international database to help researchers and policy makers. Since there is such poor data about fish numbers and demographics, this is a very helpful and important activity -- and FUN too!

www.coralreef.org -- in addition to sending money to them, they also offer some volunteer opportunities

Help lobby for more marine protected areas, see
http://www.oceanservice.noaa.gov/topics/oceans/mpa/welcome.html

Help inform people about some of the important issues -- the mass media doesn't give much air time or print space to ocean issues, but once you start researching marine conservation issues, it can be overwhelming. I've started a prototype web page for ocean related news in the Pacific Northwest region to give people a simple place to look to get current information about this area. Take a look at the "news" link near the bottom of SEA-Inside.org Help me do this, or start a similar venture in your area.

these are just a few thoughts, I hope others add more...

We don’t need no stinken leadership – divers just get it done. This morning Scubaboard members mobilized well over 120 man hours of labor and raised at least (from how low the canoe was riding) 800 pounds of beer bottles, cans, and assorted trash from the Santa Fe River near Ginnie Springs. Divers donate thousands of hours a year to efforts of organizations like Reef to monitor reef conditions, marine life on reefs, and protect reefs from invasive non-native species.

The dive community does what it can for the reefs in a low-key mode for a very good reason. For every 100 conscientious divers who help clean and maintain the reefs, promote the welfare of the reefs to friends and neighbors, promote and train low environmentally impacting diving, and dozens of other efforts there is one very loud mouthed uneducated enviro-whacko that screams that all diving should be banned because divers are destroying the ocean through their diving practices and the fuel they burn to go diving. Guess who will get the most press coverage in a showdown.

The overwhelming majority of divers I know whether they’re out to see the pretty fish, spear fish, hunt treasure, or explore caves fall into what I call conservationists as opposed to the more radical organized and vocal groups of environmentalists. When you actually spend time out in the diving community or any other outdoor pursuit you soon discover that the people participating understand their portion of the environment better than the ivory tower whinners who claim to provide “leadership” for environmental causes. In Florida we constantly see environmental organizations demanding people leave the planet – or at least stop doing what it is you enjoy because they’re afraid you’re upsetting some non-human animal. If divers raised the profile of any given problem in the ocean to high the environmentalists would instantly swoop in and shoot at the first available target – and that would be the divers who would be banned from the problem area as if that would solve a problem.

As a kelp forest ecologist and diver, I focus on kelp forest ecosystem issues unless I'm working in coral reef habitats in the tropics. I feel divers should work to conserve not only the marine habitats they frequent, but also their terrestrial environment... including reducing personal lifestyle impacts.

ChattaMasterDiver:
...short of joining Greenpeace.
How about joining Sea Shepherd? :D

Your quest is honorable, but, as a new diver are you qualified to say that other divers aren't taking a leading role in conservation? The Dive Community is the ONLY group that is taking a leading role in saving our natural aqua resources (the farmers and developers sure don't seem to care). Declining reef quality (and why) is rather well documented by the dive community.

Our "problem" is that we are not a large enough group to sway public policy with our votes (for those of us who actually VOTE). If we divers were to form some kind of political action group, we might get somewhere.... or at least get noticed.

Your poll is missing an answer

"Yes, I do believe divers DO HAVE a special role in reef conservation, and that divers ARE leading efforts in conservation"

AstroDad:
Your quest is honorable, but, as a new diver are you qualified to say that other divers aren't taking a leading role in conservation?

Absolutely right -- I'm not! And I apopologize if I came across as judging.

My only point was that organizations like Surfrider (which organizes the surfer community) seem more visible to me -- and trust me, I am not a surfer!

I've been in touch with Coral Reef Alliance (www.coral.org) -- they seem to me the closest thing to "surfrider for divers" out there. But really wanted to just get a sense of where dive folks are at on the broader issue of marine conservation.

markrovner:
really wanted to just get a sense of where dive folks are at on the broader issue of marine conservation.

Well, do us all a favor and dig far and wide for answers, then post what you learn here and everywhere else you can! I think there's a lot to be learned from hearing stories of all sorts of different issues, efforts and approaches.

Back
Top Bottom