Are Groupers Dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only situations in which I would feel threatened by a grouper are:
1) I did something to threaten the grouper
2) Previous divers had taught the grouper to associate people with food
3) I forgot to unhook the raw meat from my rig before entering the water

As far as I know groupers are only dangerous if you eat them. Large groupers in the Carribean are linked to increased risk of Cigautera poisoning.

Otherwise I've never heard of groupers attacking divers, despite over 500 dives all over the Carribean. Groupers elsewhere may be more agressive, but again I've never heard or read anything about it.

In my limited experience the most agressive fishes I've run into are spadefish, Bermuda chubbs and of course damselfishes, which are more annoying than dangerous.

I see spadefish frequently on dives and have never seen them aggressive. They are usually curious and will come close during our safety stops. Has anyone else heard of Spadefish being aggressive?

Bill and the Grouper, OMG that is one of the funniest things I've seen!!!!! That poor grouper want's a friend to rub his head! He was a little guy to. I've been with some big boys ... that one was on the tiny side.

I seen hundreds of big guys ... From petting the famous "ELVIS" to playing dive guide with others right by my side ... even one getting mad for stopping to pet a nurse shark and hitting him and running the nurse shark off so he'd get all the attention!

But they are wild ... many years ago I found a big ... did I say big one in a coral cavern. I was on the side at an opening appx 1 to 1-1/2 ft high and appx 6 ft across (I never seen an entrance he no way fit under the opening). I had an old Nikonos V and was bending the SB 105 strobe arm to get it to go under the "ledge". So he started "thumping" pushing water into his gills hard making a thump. The more they become aggravated the more they thump. So not paying him any mind trying to get in for the perfect picture I had to take my tank off and drag it behind me. By the time I was in position he was thumping fairly good now. Then I took the picture the flash fired ... then his thumping went to BBBBBBBBBBBBBBrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and he charged me and ran into the coral as I was far enough back so he couldn't reach me.

So the point is if they start thumping just swim away ... if not pet it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom