Are larger RIBs more common outside the US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cthippo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I bought my 12' RIB a couole of years ago and have been thinking about maybe getting something slightly larger (because don't we all need a bigger boat?). The problem is, there are almost zero RIBs over 12' on the used market. You can spend $40,000 on a really nice 12 footer, but 16' / 18' / 22' ones just don't seem to exist around here.

Is this true everywhere? Is there a secondary RIB market where you are?

Do you need a RIB? Maybe take a look at a 17' Boston Whaler Montauk or similar.

1714380422114.png

I am fortunate to have access to one of these ex-Navy diesel ribs from time to time (not mine). The thing is an absolute beast. It handles chop and slop way better than a similar-sized fiberglass hull. Given the large Navy presence in your area, I would keep an eye out for one on the surplus market (government auctions?)

Upsides -- pretty economical and I'm told power plant is same as Fedex/UPS truck so mechanics and parts are available. We don't hop over the tubes (too much freeboard) but climb up on the outdrive. If it were mine, I would install a ladder on the transom.

Downsides -- you lose a lot of space to the tubes, they get abused by the Navy so you have to pay attention to condition, no protection from the elements, they ain't cheap. But they are hella fun.

Not in your area but it comes with a trailer.....

View attachment 838830

I am fortunate to have access to one of these ex-Navy diesel ribs from time to time (not mine). The thing is an absolute beast. It handles chop and slop way better than a similar-sized fiberglass hull. Given the large Navy presence in your area, I would keep an eye out for one on the surplus market (government auctions?)

Upsides -- pretty economical and I'm told power plant is same as Fedex/UPS truck so mechanics and parts are available. We don't hop over the tubes (too much freeboard) but climb up on the outdrive. If it were mine, I would install a ladder on the transom.

Downsides -- you lose a lot of space to the tubes, they get abused by the Navy so you have to pay attention to condition, no protection from the elements, they ain't cheap. But they are hella fun.

Not in your area but it comes with a trailer.....

That is a freakin sweet boat!

I know I am suffering from a case of three feet itis, but two people plus dive gear plus search gear is really tight in mine.

That is a freakin sweet boat!

I know I am suffering from a case of three feet itis, but two people plus dive gear plus search gear is really tight in mine.
I know the feeling!

Get the Willard RIB with the Konrad outdrive. The Mercruiser outdrive did not hold up in that application and they lost or gave up the contract to supply the navy.

Get the Willard RIB with the Konrad outdrive. The Mercruiser outdrive did not hold up in that application and they lost or gave up the contract to supply the navy.
Good to know. The one I get to drive has a Konrad. Thanks.

I'm of the opinion that the popularity of RIBs in Europe and Pangas elsewhere is heavily influenced by the cost of gas/petrol in Europe vs the USA, or the general economic prosperity elsewhere.

RIBs tend to be light for their size and efficiently driven at speed with a smaller engine, but hot damn can they beat the crap out of you. Comparing a 27' Zodiac RIB to a similarly sized center console like a Regulator 26 and on dry weight you're looking at a 60% difference. When running long distances offshore I'd prefer the weight of the Regulator. But you also see 40-60% fuel efficiency swings between the two, and when Petrol is $5.99 a gallon instead of $3.50, I can understand choosing a light boat with shock absorbing seats as opposed to 5,000 lbs of Deep V solid fiberglass.

I really like the roll stability of RIBs versus a conventional hull of the same size. I hate boats that feel like they are going to flip every time you move off the centerline.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom