Question Are muck sticks allowed in Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tursiops

Marine Scientist and Master Instructor (retired)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Are muck sticks allowed in Grand Cayman?

I’ve never had an issue. Oh wait, you said muck sticks. Never mind.

I have seen quite a few use them and nobody has said anything. I haven't read any restrictions on them.

I think they fall into the category of "touching the Reef" and therefore frowned upon. All depends on what outfit you dive with as some are more stringent than others. Re legality; I have not seen them listed as not being allowed by CITA.

Because they are never used responsibly.

Only people that I have witnessed using as intended were the dive guides.

I find it more and more irritating seeing photographers (and others) using these sticks to make up for their lack of buoyancy skills to steady themselves on the reef to get the right pic.

Because they are never used responsibly.

Only people that I have witnessed using as intended were the dive guides.

I find it more and more irritating seeing photographers (and others) using these sticks to make up for their lack of buoyancy skills to steady themselves on the reef to get the right pic.
Maybe "never" is hyperbole?

Can you explain "as intended"?

I guess, given the choice, I'd rather see someone use a muck stick to take a picture than to crash into the reef while taking that picture.

Maybe "never" is hyperbole?

Can you explain "as intended"?

I guess, given the choice, I'd rather see someone use a muck stick to take a picture than to crash into the reef while taking that picture.

I can see using one to point at something or as a signaling device. But it should not come down to a choice between the stick and crashing into the reef. If you do not have the skills to take a pic and not crash into things, leave the camera behind and better your skills.

I can see using one to point at something or as a signaling device. But it should not come down to a choice between the stick and crashing into the reef. If you do not have the skills to take a pic and not crash into things, leave the camera behind and better your skills.
Have you dived at muck sites, like Lembeh or Anilao?

Although, I'm actually more interested at the moment in their "legality" at Grand Cayman. I don't care if people don't like them; I don't like people using tank-bangers, either, but they are not illegal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom