Are new small pickups good for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This one looks great... are there anywhere more photos of the car and setup?
i just searched for it on internet - im sure theres more somewhere

I have a Chevy Colorado. A week long tech trip to Florida with me and one buddy completely fills it. This includes 2 or 3 sets of doubles, 4 deco bottles, all our other dive gear (wings, suits, flippers, etc.), suitcases, and a cooler. I'd actually like a little more room, but it works. On the plus side, I really like being able to throw wet gear in the back and keep it out of the passenger cabin.

please keep in mind the vehicles payload as well. Max payload on the Ford is 1500lbs. With two divers that isn't a problem, but 4 is cutting it close
4x 200lbs =800lbs of people
8x AL80's @ 40lbs=320lbs of tanks
4x 50lbs of gear bags =200lbs of misc stuff
Rough total of 1300lbs not including any coolers or misc. stuff in the vehicle.

Better than a sedan? Sure, but I would go with a small SUV first that would have more cargo volume capacity that is lockable. I don't like pickup trucks for dive vehicles personally. I use an Expedition EL, biggest SUV you can buy and it still isn't big enough. @The Chairman and @mer have custom fitted Transit vans that are marginal, and @grantctobin drives a Camry but he's nuts. Granted we are all cave diving out of them which is much more gear intensive, but for recreational diving you can do just about anything. I got cave certified driving a Chrysler LHS and while it wasn't the most ideal dive vehicle, it did get 2 people with one full set of cave gear down to cave country quite comfortably.

yep
check maximum payload

the regular ford f-150 can carry much more than the ford raptor
which makes sense - the raptor was designed for weight/hauling

but something to think about

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom