Are sharks territorial?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anthony12

Reaction score
On 2 straight weekends I've encountered a bull at the same spot off boynton beach. The second was a little unnerving as he followed me up to the boat and while I was down a squal came in and the seas picked up, so it took alot longer than I would have liked to get out of the water. He pretty much stayed within 10-15' of me. I dive a rebreather and occasionally I hit the purge on my stage and went towards him...nothing bothered this brute.

In Wabasso FL...I have seen one resident Bull Shark over the past several years in the same general location...There is also one huge Nurse Shark I have seen within a 1 mile radius over 25 years

Joe

While it isn't totally proven (and I could be wrong, working on older info) that Bull's are terrirtorial, they are known to have the highest testosterone levels of any creatures on earth thus having a HUGE propensity to want to attack anything it see's as smaller or in it's territory and can be eaten. My own speculation is that since we are full grown adults in the water, and they may still be growing, at some point one will deem itself bigger than we and see what we're worth as far as food. Mostly though, were just big noisy things that provide curiosity for them.

Incidentally, did anyone see the show during sharkweek with the lady at the aquarium that had the nurse shark trained like a dog, barking and wanting treats and stuff? And the other sharks responding to different sounds and colors?

There is a 14' male greater hammerhead known as Rufus that had been on the same section of the Andros wall for at least 12 years in 1997.

The dive site is one Small Hope Bay Lodge calls "over the wall." We'd see him about one dive in 10 there, or on the Marion barge wreck just inshore and south. We never saw him much north or south of those two "landmarks." I hope he's still there. He recoginzed divers as no threat, and did not see them as lunch. We'd normally see him after going over the wall on a deep bounce for a photo. He seemed to follow us up just to see what was visiting his space.

He did make a pass at my fins once where he passed about 1' behind me, after I put on a bit of speed. Looking back at it I think I was just in his way though. Good adrenalin rush anyway.

FT

zeN|| once bubbled...
Touchy Feely sentiments over a hammerhead shark? Truly chirren of Walt Disney ~Z

Rufus is an exception, and a very large one, in more ways than one. It's obvious it's HIS reef, and it's also obvious he is quite willing to share it with the obnoxious bubble blowers. He has never been fed by divers so doesn't see us as a food source.

I manufacture powerheads to handle the others that have been "trained" to see divers as a food source. Shark jerkey is actually pretty good eating. :wink:

FT

Cool FredT. Where can I get one of those powerheads. My buddies want shark deterrants.=-)

CBulla once bubbled...
Incidentally, did anyone see the show during sharkweek with the lady at the aquarium that had the nurse shark trained like a dog, barking and wanting treats and stuff? And the other sharks responding to different sounds and colors?

I wish I had seen that show. That is too cool! Do you remember where the shark is located? I'm diving at EPCOT later this month and was wondering is he/she is there? THat would be a site to behold! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom