Are some people just thick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpsexton:
I think it was probably me, :D Tammy and I collided a few times that day. When you are trying to keep a group together in poor vis it's bound to happen. I don't see it as a big deal really. Thats how we all got seperated that day, when we tried to spread out for more room the vis was too bad to stay together. We still had a good day though, I just chalked it up as a learning experience.

Not a big deal at all. I was just using it as an example of how, even in a tight group people can work together & help eachother out. Let's face it, I've gotten kicked much harder in my martial arts classes, that was nothing. I just accept the fact that it was the way we decided to go as a group & that we all had to sacrifice a little personal space in order to accomplish it. I did thoroughly enjoy the little demo with the beer though! I wasn't passing any blame to anyone.

I always put my hands in front of my little girl's face if it gets too crowded; I don't want someone kicking her mask off. I've had it happen too many times to me, by accident of course.

tstormwarning:
Not a big deal at all. I was just using it as an example of how, even in a tight group people can work together & help eachother out. Let's face it, I've gotten kicked much harder in my martial arts classes, that was nothing. I just accept the fact that it was the way we decided to go as a group & that we all had to sacrifice a little personal space in order to accomplish it. I did thoroughly enjoy the little demo with the beer though! I wasn't passing any blame to anyone.

I am ... It was all John's fault. Yeh, it was John! That's it. :wink:

We need to all meet up down there again sometime soon. I hope to get back down to Joe's sometime in August. I'll be sure and let you know.

Tammy, I knew you were'nt blaming anyone nor was I. But to the OP, in a group it is bound to happen and its really no big deal. If you are the kicker just let up until they clear your space and if you are the kickee you just have to back off a little and try to reposition to the side instead of directly behind. In our example we were better off bumping into each other than finally getting seperated.

jpsexton:
Tammy, I knew you were'nt blaming anyone nor was I. But to the OP, in a group it is bound to happen and its really no big deal. If you are the kicker just let up until they clear your space and if you are the kickee you just have to back off a little and try to reposition to the side instead of directly behind. In our example we were better off bumping into each other than finally getting seperated.

John & Jim, I agree 110% with you guys. Unfortunately It doesn't look like I'll be able to make it back to the Louisville area in Aug. before my trip. I am doing some specialties in a couple of weeks & then a rescue diver course the week after. Then I start working weekends again until I leave (unless I get real lucky somehow). Anyway, with the price of fuel, I'm going to have to stick close to home for a while. If any of you come down this way to Cerulean or Pennyroyal, look me up & I'll do my best to make a few dives wih you. Sorry, I'll get back to the topic now. Yes, in a tight group everyone just needs to try to work together for the benefit of all.

My husband and I dove "as a group" (3 of us total) for the first time on Saturday. The viz was REALLY bad. The other buddy that was with us led the way for much of the dive, and my husband and I were directly behind him. By the 3rd dive, the viz was only about 2 feet, we could barely see his fins, and sometimes, we couldn't even see his shadow. Within a couple seconds we would speed up (so to speak), but with the viz so bad, by the time we would see his fins we would almost be bumping into him. Now... we never bumbed him, but I did have my arms shielding my face a couple times so my mask wouldn't be kicked off, and a couple other times, I did reach out and just touch his fins so he would know that I was right there. On this particular dive, my husband and I actually held hands so we wouldn't lose each other. 2 foot viz really sucks!! And... after a total of 3 dives and nearly 2 hours bottom time, I only saw 2, yup 2, fish!!

Lamnid:
I try and keep my distance a little from other divers because it seems fairly obvious to me that if there is a sudden bunch up of people underwater then there´ll be fins in the face, snagging other people´s regs out of their mouth and all sorts of problems. However, when I´m diving, I can constantly feel people behind me just swimming into my fins. I mean, if someone wants to put their face on my fins that´s fine, but I can manage to keep an eye on the person in front of me, so why can´t they? Also, what is it when you´re swimming along and you bob up a bit and your legs and tank collide with someone who has just decided to swim over the top of you? I mean really! Little spacial awareness would help!

Awareness. some have it, some think they have it, and some don't have one ounce of it.

As a Diver and a DiveMaster
I have seen divers crash in spectacular fashion into other divers, just trying to get a better view.
I have held onto fins of one diver who never new I was doing it he kept kicking along. (longer story..)
I have chased divers to the bottom who had no clue they were decending so fast or where they were decending.
I have been kicked, hit, pushed, so many times I have lost count.

This is one of the reason I like the "rescue" class. Because it teaches some awareness skill. Although it does not help those who are truly unaware. Some can learn it, Some well... can't

It is much like driving. Drive / Dive on the defense especially with divers you have not dove with much.

names have been with held to protect the innocent and the guilty

yeah on this particualr dive the vis was good so there was no excuse for it. I would just like to see some people being less ignornant and less thick skinned to just keep on swimming when you have stopped and coming into your fins. I am not an experienced diver - only 14 dives, and all these others had more dives than me so why are they doing it? I suppose just eager to get ahead and stay together. It just frustrates me is all. I just remember one guy who would be all around me all the time. I´d breath in, raise up a little and bash into him...I´d be going through a narrow raving and he´d just try and squeeze past me - for no reason cos the instructor was right ahead of me so where´s he gonna go? where? My boyfriend said he saw me kick this guy in the face a couple of times! Anyway, that´s my rant!

If it's not a low viz situation, as others have said, it is a case of poor situational awareness or poor control. In that case I would eventually get irritated as well.

Divin'Hoosier:
If it's not a low viz situation, as others have said, it is a case of poor situational awareness or poor control. In that case I would eventually get irritated as well.

Hey, Divin'Hoosier, the above post should have been number "1000"! What happened? I'd be contacting a Mod if I were you.:lol:

Regarding the original post---You want to see bunching?----be on a night dive in the ocean with firt-time night-time divers---that's bunching!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom