Are there portable sonar mapping devices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wadedeeper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey all,

I've seen it on hollywood movies, but as we all know, hollywood doesn't mean its possible. I am curious if there are any types of portable sonar devices you can use to map an area and upload to a computer to create a graphic image of the area? I know there are larger Side scan sonars, and buoy type sonars but I was curious if there were any hand-held devices or if the technology was even available. I don't know much about sonar but figure this is the group that might. Mainly I was curious about highly accurate mapping technologies...thanks.

Wadedeeper

Not hand held but works good in the boat-Hummingbird Side Imaging

Side Imaging Sonar: Humminbird

Only the higher powered units really work. My 797 only works pretty shallow (<40ft).

There's no way to georeference a handheld unit (like a GPS) underwater, although people have played around with putting them in waterproof boxes and towing them on a dive and trying to relate that track to a computer depth download. Its anything but a "highly accurate" map though.

What do you consider 'portable' or 'handheld'?

wakullafront.jpg

Photo from http://www.usdct.org/

If you have the money, throw it over the side, crack a cold one and do a little fishing, while it does the work

REMUS 100

I like my Hummingbird 997 for play, I like their Klein 3000 for work. I'd like to have the Klein 3000 for play but they won't let me take it home when they're not using it:D

If you have the money, throw it over the side, crack a cold one and do a little fishing, while it does the work

REMUS 100

I like my Hummingbird 997 for play, I like their Klein 3000 for work. I'd like to have the Klein 3000 for play but they won't let me take it home when they're not using it:D

Before buying the Remus, check out the 9" vehicle from bluefin, (sealion) same Marine Sonic sonar with removable batteries and the data is just a usb stick, no wasting time downloading data, just a few pounds heavier but rated for 100 meters deeper and easier to launch and recover.

Hands free lighting so they can dabble with that monstrocity.

Comon man :p that seems pretty obvious

why did they need helmets in wakulla? lol
In case you hit the ceiling.

There was a cave instructor (I can't seem to figure out which one) that split his head wide open on a scooter in GINNIE. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom