are tickle sticks legal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nacmacfeegle

Registered
Reaction score
this is probably an obvious one so if someone wants to point me to faqs or whatever thats fine... I didn't see it in the state regs.

what do people know about using tickle sticks for lobster, not that it seems it will be much of an issue based on what people are reporting for low sightings...

thanks

nac mac feegle

They are legal, but I am a computer moron who does now how to direct you to other posts or a link. Sorry, but I think the only limitation is that the end can't be bent past 45 degrees. Of course, they is no hooking, lassoing or spearing allowed. I'm sure someone else can provide you with a nice link.

LobstaMan

They are great for whapping your buddy when he's not paying attention, too :1poke:

(they haven't outlawed that in MA yet...I think!)

They are legal to coax a lobster out of the hole. You can't (obviously) whack the lobster with it as a means to kill and catch it or something.

They are useful for picking up things from a distance....like my catch bag placed beside me while I go in for a bug.

--Matt

Are tickle sticks legal?

I hope so! I just bought one today and a catch bag and a measuring tool!

Its legal. Its also good to tape or mark 6 or 12 inch intervals on the tickle stick so you can use it as a ruler when you bag yourself a flounder. I made mine out of a tomato stake since I don't have a garden this year. Cheap but it gets all bent out of shape after a while, and at 4 feet long its a bit cumbersome.

I want to know if it is legal to use kitchen tongs to pick up crabs or lobsters - anyone know?

The tickle stick is legal, but I've found that there is no substitute for experience catching lobsters withy your hands..... you still need to "size up" the bug before you decide to go after it - with hand(s) or stick.... all in all, use your hands - you will save yourself time and agravation!!

Happy Hunting!

Yeah, I prefer my hands, too, but sometimes you need to get something behind them so they they'll come out. I woulda had a big one off salt island last year... missing the 'thumb' on one claw so when I grabbed the other (I could just reach) it couldn't pinch me. I could get around behind it, and make it come forward, but of course when I did that I had to let go. A tickle stick would have gotten it into the guage.

Also, someone else on the boat (who had the best catch) said he uses it to sweep aside kelp, so can survey a larger area.

Back
Top Bottom