Are you a marine biologist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rscvideos

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm going to be starting my final year of uni for a marine biology degree in a few days. Now I have very little faith in my university supplying me with a job when I graduate (my 12 grand a year apparently can't by a single pencil sharpener for our labs so I doubt they have job services in their budget) and furthermore I have been told countless times there are few jobs for marine biologists (something along the lines of "after we catch and eat everything in the ocean you will be obsolete anyways") so I am wondering if anyone here has had the luck of scoring a nice job and what it is your currently doing.

I'm a second year marine science student, going back to study in 3 days. The issue you stated was a the reason why I originally didn't choose to do marine sci/bio and according to some teaching staff at the uni I attend, employment prospects for a marine sci/bio degree on it's on is pretty bad.

All isn't lost though, your best bet according to most of my teaching staff is to do as much work experience as you can while still at uni, and/or to do a double degree or double major. Talk to people in the field at uni, i'm sure they'd give you a few ideas on how to improve your career prospects.

A good grade point average also helps, especially since when a group of students graduate, its more than likely they will all be applying for the same jobs. You gotta make yourself stand out from the rest :)

Aquaculture. You have to pay your dues and slave for a few years but myself and quite a few friends have done okay. You tend to move around a lot and it's rough on marriages and kids though.

You're supposed to get a job after finishing your degree? Darn, why didn't I think of that after I got my Ph.D. in marine ecology. No wonder I'm broke!

The recommendation to get as much work (field or lab) experience as possible is a good one. A BS degree doesn't open up many doors so you'll need the extra credentials. Besides, such experience often leads to future job opportunities IMHO.

You might also look at the CIMI (Catalina Island Marine Institute) program here on Catalina. It offers work experience for newly minted graduates. I think their web site is www.guideddiscoveries.org (or .com).

rscvideos:
Hello everyone!

I'm going to be starting my final year of uni for a marine biology degree in a few days. Now I have very little faith in my university supplying me with a job when I graduate (my 12 grand a year apparently can't by a single pencil sharpener for our labs so I doubt they have job services in their budget) and furthermore I have been told countless times there are few jobs for marine biologists (something along the lines of "after we catch and eat everything in the ocean you will be obsolete anyways") so I am wondering if anyone here has had the luck of scoring a nice job and what it is your currently doing.

I'm not a marine biologist but my uncle was. What I know from his experience is that at least in Canada there are very few jobs for someone with a B.sc. and none at all that are more interesting or pay more than shaking the oil out of the fries at McDonalds.

There are (or were?), however, lots of jobs for marine biologists with M.sc. and PhD degrees *if* you focus on a marketable skill area like fisheries management or ecological/pollution/environmental disciplines *and* are willing to travel the world to do it. These kinds of skills are especially scarce in developing nations and the jobs are available through universities and government agencies and pay fairly well, at least by local standards.

That said, this is only what I know from 2nd hand information. You need to be talking to your professors.

R..

Theres plenty of jobs out there. How about this?

Job Title: Marine Biologist Observer Program
Salary: From 36,805.00 to 47,843.00 per year

Entry Level Marine Biologist-Laboratory Job Description:
$17 per Hour

Research Fishery Biologist
$45,000-70,000 per year

Just go to www.indeed.com and type in 'marine biologist'. Most of the jobs have pretty lenient requirements, simply requiring a bachelors degree.

DavidPT40:
Theres plenty of jobs out there. How about this?

Job Title: Marine Biologist Observer Program
Salary: From 36,805.00 to 47,843.00 per year

Entry Level Marine Biologist-Laboratory Job Description:
$17 per Hour

Research Fishery Biologist
$45,000-70,000 per year

Just go to www.indeed.com and type in 'marine biologist'. Most of the jobs have pretty lenient requirements, simply requiring a bachelors degree.

OK David but it's about supply *and* demand.

If you compare (for example) IT jobs where some positions go unfilled for months (at least where I live) because there are no qualified applicants with something like this -- 127 jobs to be shared between 30,000 unemployed marine biologists......

It's just a thought, but finding a couple of listings doesn't prove that the market is booming. If you go to the same website and type in "project manager", which is what I do, then it gives you 277,137 listings....

R..

Second hand info... My girlfriend is planning on a masters in freshwater ecology/ fisheries and claims there are plenty of positions in the fisheries areas for those willing to do so. However, I hear it is a bit unpopular so there are fewer applicants in fisheries.

Others have already said it, if you want to do research get the advanced degree. If not, you can stop at a BS or MS but jobs are likely to be thin. I stopped at a MS. I graduated in 1990 and now act as a planner on large civil works projects for the evil Corps of Engineers. I'm able to bring my biologist perspective to these projects, but I rarely get to use my formal training in a substantive manner anymore. But I make good money and enjoy my job.:)

Oh yeah, I agree. Though I'm sure that marine biology jobs near tropical oceans are in high demand, I haven't heard about biologists rushing to fill jobs in the Bearing Straights.

I decided a long time ago that marine biology would be much more rewarding as a hobby than as a career. I chose a different field of biology to get into that would let me live near the ocean and still make a beneficial impact.

Btw, my brother is a project manager here in the U.S. He works for about six months a year then spends the rest of his time on vacation in Thailand.

Diver0001:
OK David but it's about supply *and* demand.

If you compare (for example) IT jobs where some positions go unfilled for months (at least where I live) because there are no qualified applicants with something like this -- 127 jobs to be shared between 30,000 unemployed marine biologists......

It's just a thought, but finding a couple of listings doesn't prove that the market is booming. If you go to the same website and type in "project manager", which is what I do, then it gives you 277,137 listings....

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom