Are you nitrox certified?

• Yes

Votes: 102 76.7%
  • No

Votes: 31 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

to answer your question, I always get the EAN option on liveaboards for multiple days of multiple dives.

For local, single-tank dives, I rarely bother with nitrox. Air is $2/fill...nitrox is $10-12...just not worth it to me.

I voted "no," but it should be "not yet." I'll do the course sometime next summer.

I only use Nitrox in my tanks for local dives and try to do so on trips when its reliable and not unduly difficult to arrange. Of 87 dives in 2003, all but 17 were Nitrox dives.

An air fill is about $4.00 and Nitrox is about $6.00. Some shops only charge to top off Nitrox so you pay by the pound. Then its as cheap as air. The benefits are debateable for some but for me, its 100% Nitrox all of the time.

went digital and needed more time since i could shoot more than 36 photos. i used to come up when out of film not air.

I'm certified to both dive and blend Nitrox. I use it sometimes, but not always. Depends on the dive profile and whether or not I'm doing multiple dives on a given day. I have two cylinders dedicated for Nitrox use, and three that are strictly for air.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes, combined certification with AOW dives. In the grand scheme of things it's worth the extra expense on a dive trip. Especially when diving several times a day over many days. I really started to notice the benefits as the diver I was buddied with was on air. Gave me a good comparison. She was always near her NDL's first etc.

This might start a discussion!!! I dive it, teach it and love it . Just got back from Indo. did about 40 dives, 4 of them Nitrox wasn't available. Now here comes the kicker. If Nitrox yields more bottom time at certain depths (60-100 or so), shorter surface intervals, some people say it makes them feel better, some people say you breathe more effeciently, and some say it's safer- SO why don't we drop air all together and dive Nitrox 100% of the time. Tell new divers to absolutley do not go deeper than 120' give them a 30% mix and let em' go. Now certainly there are limitations but other than not exceeding the maximum depth limit what does a new diver have to know??. Now before anybody thinks I'm insane I know this is a little radical thought but think about it. Why dive air shallower than 120'

I dive the Okinawan coral, so most of my depths hover around 40-50 feet. I've used Nx a couple of timessince cert...just for a wreck dive over the northern point. I can't honestly tell a difference in how I feel after air or Nx. I usually feel great having gotten the opportunity to dive.

Besides. Nx fills are $6. Air fills are...free! Nothing against Nx, but unless I have a genuine "need" to use it, I only use it periodically to stay familiar with table usage.

That being said, now that I have some experience with what dive operators offer, I'll probably contract the Nx option. When my wife and I dove Brisbane, we were at a spot that bottomed out at 30 feet. One woman was diving with Nx out of about 20 of us. Day trip, so we only did two dives. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I got the impression that it was being done for the "sexy green and yellow sticker" factor.

Where my buddy & I get most of our fills, air costs $4 & nitrox costs $8. Yeah, that's double the cost, but one of the places we regularly dive has depths of up to 100'. At that depth with al 100's, we just might approach ndl's on air. On nitrox (32%) we have no such issues. Also, after 2 or 3 dives in one day , I just feel much better when using nitrox. I probably use nitrox on 80-90% of the dives I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom