Argh!! Cold water nose issues.....(sigh)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mobster75

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm currently a PADI Scuba Diver who's heading out this weekend for my final two OW checkout dives but I'm having some issues with blowing air out of my nose in cold water and I was looking for any advice on how I might get around it?

Being in MA, my checkout dives are going to be from the shore in Gloucester - so I'm expecting water temps of around the high 40f's at depth.

I've been practicing my mask removals and clearing in my bath tub with my snorkel to get ready for the weekend. I have absolutely no problems doing any of this when I use 90f degree water. In fact I was surprised how comfortable I feel with no mask on for 15 minutes or so (almost forget I'm maskless and underwater) and it requires no effort to blow air out of my nose. The fun starts when I don my 7mm wetsuit,boots,gloves and fill with cold water (58f according to my dc). The feeling of cold water up my nose and face isn't too bad and I get used to it after a few minutes underwater w/ no mask. But I'm having a hard time blowing air out of my nose in the cold water... It just feels like my glottis doesn't want to cooperate and the most I can manage are very short air bursts which take 3 or 4 of these to clear the mask. I know the cold is making me slightly squint my closed eyes and slightly tense up a bit but I'm otherwise very relaxed..

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my body to cooperate? I really really want to wrap up my OW now so that when I'm in St. Croix in July I don't have to waste a couple dives to do the checkout there.. I've tried the putting my tongue to the roof of my mouth when blowing and nothing.

I've come so far in the past few years since deciding to get certified.. Prior to my PADI SD training in '03, I couldn't swim at all without holding my nose (obviously doesn't work w/ SCUBA training) and worked on it until I was comfortable enough for the SD skills/dives. I've worked hard at pushing myself to practice swimming underwater and snorkeling maskless to get myself adjusted and its worked really well - but this last bit is bugging me as after all this work, I'm so close but need to get past the cold.

mobster75:
But I'm having a hard time blowing air out of my nose in the cold water... It just feels like my glottis doesn't want to cooperate and the most I can manage are very short air bursts which take 3 or 4 of these to clear the mask.

is this the problem here?

i dont' think you should worry about this if it is. it takes me 3 or 4 bursts to clear
my mask too (i have iffy sinuses). it's not an issue if you can do it in 5 seconds or so.

doesn't matter how you clear that mask, if you can clear it relatively quickly, you're golden

H2Andy:
is this the problem here?

i dont' think you should worry about this if it is. it takes me 3 or 4 bursts to clear
my mask too (i have iffy sinuses). it's not an issue if you can do it in 5 seconds or so.

doesn't matter how you clear that mask, if you can clear it relatively quickly, you're golden
The post by Storm is a good one to follow.

Andy is right. Do not let this be an issue. You can clear your mask. That's all that matters. I think the cold water aspect will come easier as time and experience allows.

Dennis--

You can clear it, and that's what counts. Just remember to let the water trickle in from the top of the mask before doing the mask removal. A shock of cold water to the face is hard for even the most experienced diver. Letting the water slowly flood the mask reduces the shock and makes it a bit easier.

Mobster75,

You're on the right track. Clearing the mask in one shot is not a common requirement so a few shots is usually fine. What you need to demonstrate is that you can deal with a mask off or flood situation with poise and ability.

It sounds like you are evaluating yourself based on you 58F bathtub experience. I can tell you (from experience) that the whole airway thing will be much easier when you get out diving in a more normal posture and are breathing from your second stage. You will also have more freedom to position the mask (tilt your head) for efficient clearing in a free swimming situation.

Since you are heading to check-out dives I assume you already mastered this in the pool. Lastly if it's actually the wetsuit that's inhibiting you severely get something that fits better. A very tight neck can kill you since it will fool your brain regarding blood flow though the neck, this is not something to take a wait and see attitude with.

If things fit well except for the neck a basketball or volleyball inflated in the neck and left to rest for a day or two can relax the fit noticably.

Pete

Thanks to everyone so far for your advice and encouragement!

And yes, I didn't have a problem w/ the maskless swim or mask removal in the nice indoor, heated YMCA pool when I took my scuba refresher 3 weeks ago. In fact I was the most prepped person there (I went thru my OW material again completely to brush up) and had no real problems w/ the skill review. I also sat and retook the OW exam (in 15 mins) just to make sure I was up-to-speed (got a 94%.. a couple things seemed to have changed between the version of the CD-ROM I got and the newest test versions)

I did more tub and sink exercises yesterday evening and have noticed even more improvement. It's looking like when I push myself past my comfort level in the tub/sink I might struggle a bit here and there, but each subsequent practice session I'm farther along down the path to total comfort. So I'm very happy with the progress I'm making.. I spent 15 minutes w/ my snorkel on and head fully submerged in my utility sink in the cold water and after that, I wasn't having much problem at all getting the air out my nose. Then I followed up 2 hrs later with full exposure gear on except hood in the tub with the same results. I know the sight of such exercise methods looks ridiculous and I feel that I've had a harder go of the whole mask removal than most people... (In my original OW class 3 yrs ago, I was the only one who had problems with this and felt pressured to keep up w/ the class... Scubaboard has been a great resource for me and I'm now surprised the instructors back then didn't suggest any kind of tub/sink homework between pool sessions)

I found that if I blow air out of my nose as I remove the mask, it's far easier as theres no mask lock (which sometimes makes me want to gag). Of course I'll be practicing again today and tomorrow. Practice practice practice!

I know other people would have quit trying a while back, but I'm persistent and as Genevieve @ PG Dive in Newton (my new LDS; only 5 mins away and such nice people!) says, "Ahh. You've been bitten by the bug!" Yeah... my initial 4 Discover Scuba dives in '03 in the Bahamas in 85f and 60'-80' vis convinced me that I want to do this. Heck, I'm even excited about local diving because I don't want to wait for long trips (altho my SD checkout dives up here were a shock initially). I hate not finishing what I start and while being SD rated is fine as its let me dive on vacation, I want the freedom of the OW c-card.

As of last night I've replaced the worry I feel about this Dive 4 skill in cold water with anticipation and excitement.

mobster75:
I'm currently a PADI Scuba Diver who's heading out this weekend for my final two OW checkout dives but I'm having some issues with blowing air out of my nose in cold water and I was looking for any advice on how I might get around it?

Being in MA, my checkout dives are going to be from the shore in Gloucester - so I'm expecting water temps of around the high 40f's at depth.

I've been practicing my mask removals and clearing in my bath tub with my snorkel to get ready for the weekend. I have absolutely no problems doing any of this when I use 90f degree water. In fact I was surprised how comfortable I feel with no mask on for 15 minutes or so (almost forget I'm maskless and underwater) and it requires no effort to blow air out of my nose. The fun starts when I don my 7mm wetsuit,boots,gloves and fill with cold water (58f according to my dc). The feeling of cold water up my nose and face isn't too bad and I get used to it after a few minutes underwater w/ no mask. But I'm having a hard time blowing air out of my nose in the cold water... It just feels like my glottis doesn't want to cooperate and the most I can manage are very short air bursts which take 3 or 4 of these to clear the mask. I know the cold is making me slightly squint my closed eyes and slightly tense up a bit but I'm otherwise very relaxed..

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my body to cooperate? I really really want to wrap up my OW now so that when I'm in St. Croix in July I don't have to waste a couple dives to do the checkout there.. I've tried the putting my tongue to the roof of my mouth when blowing and nothing.

I've come so far in the past few years since deciding to get certified.. Prior to my PADI SD training in '03, I couldn't swim at all without holding my nose (obviously doesn't work w/ SCUBA training) and worked on it until I was comfortable enough for the SD skills/dives. I've worked hard at pushing myself to practice swimming underwater and snorkeling maskless to get myself adjusted and its worked really well - but this last bit is bugging me as after all this work, I'm so close but need to get past the cold.

One trick I've used and passed on, is to hum when you want to clear your mask (while looking up). When you hum, you're gently blowing air through your nose.
(Okay, how many people reading this are now humming with their hand by their nose :D )

As other's have mentioned before, it's not a race, and you can take more than one try to clear your mask.

Sounds like you've about got it licked Mobster. You understand that's it's just a matter of aclimation.
But you won't need or want any surprises on your checkout shore dives, so I'll go ahead and tell ya if ya don't know already.
The salt water will burn your eyes just a little. Not really enough to be of concern, but you'll be nervous enough without doffing your mask and finding a mild irritation on top of everything else. Just thought you might like to know.
You'll do fine.
Now go buy a couple bags of ice to add to the sink and do it again.

fishoutawater:
Now go buy a couple bags of ice to add to the sink and do it again.

Funny.... I've been considering that for the last 10 degrees.... :)

Back
Top Bottom