Argon use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well thanks for all your inputs! I got the Argon setup because I'm kind of a gadget guy, and I already carry a 13 cu ft pony strapped to my tank so I figured a 14 cu. ft. AR tank on the other side would even me out.

It appears that many (the majority?) of the opinions here think I should have spent my money on better/enhanced thermal underwear, but I'll give the Argon a try anyway. As one poster put it (in another thread), don't tell me it's placebonic, I don't want to know :)

I can't make it out to dive this weekend, but am scheduling a couple of dives next weekend. I'll experiment with the air pre-purging, and post my results. I will NOT be wearing a rectal thermometer (as they did in the "scientific" study), so it will be purely subjective :)

Thanks,

Jerry

geraldp:
I will NOT be wearing a rectal thermometer (as they did in the "scientific" study), so it will be purely subjective :)

Oh come on! You gotta take one for the team! LOL!

Well I got out on Saturday and dove at Sunny Side Park near Tacoma, WA. The weather was pretty decent - about 50 degrees and partly sunny. The water was relatively warm at 50 degrees, both on the surface and at depth. For my first dive I did NOT purge my drysuit, as I usually don't get cold during my first dive. I stayed toasty warm during the dive. During the Surface Interval I started to take off my thermal jacket, but had to put it back on when the wind came up. My buddy, who did not have Argon or dry gloves was cold during his first dive and cold all during the SI. He was really cold during his second dive. For my second dive I purged the suit once just before going in. I was "mostly" warm through the second dive. I had forgotten to bring a second pair of socks, and my feet kind of got a little cold. The rest of me stayed warm. It really felt like I was adding "warm" air for every shot I put in.

I started the morning at 2000 psi, and ended the 2nd dive at 1200 psi, so I had plenty of Argon left.

I had a little problem with my bouyancy, getting used to having the extra weight of the 14 cu ft LP tank & reg. I dropped 7 pounds out of my weight pouches on my first dive (I knew I had been diving too heavy before) and that seemed pretty good. For my 2nd dive I thought I'd experiment with even less weight, so I removed another 2 pounds. That was a mistake, as I ended up too bouyant at the end of the dive.

Anyway, it was a positive first test, and I'll keep trying it out over the next several months as the local water temps drop another 2-3 degrees. Thanks for your inputs,

Jerry

I use a 6cf Argon bottle myself. I do believe it works. It feels like a shot of warm air every time you press the inflator. I had a 80cf tank filled last winter, dove winter and spring with it, and still have 1800 psi left.

For those saying "get thicker undies", that also adds bulk. This can reduce mobility, where Argon does not.

I use a 6 cu ft bottle and can get 2 or 3 dives out of it. The combination of good undergarments and Argon can make a big difference. They are all small pieces of the puzzle.

Eric

Back
Top Bottom