Question Argonaut Kraken Owner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zach1534

Registered
Reaction score
I am the owner of Kraken SN: AK19-077 but have actually never been diving with it. I got it in 2019, because I started browsing VDH and thought that it was so cool, and that I would have no problem diving it or getting it serviced by VDH.

I am just getting back into diving, and making plans for this summer to be much more active than I have been, and maybe even use my Kraken for the first time. I have read some posts by Luis and realize that the Kraken was designed in a way to be easily self serviceable, using many shared parts and such. My question is: with the unfortunate passing of Bryan, and the uncertainty of VDH as well as the Kraken, is it even worth it to keep and use?

I feel like I am doing it a disservice by not using it, but also do not know anyone in the vintage diving community, and feel like very few people even know what the Kraken is.

I realize how niche the Kraken is, and would like to hear the experiences of another owner whether it is worth keeping, or worth parting ways with to someone who can really appreciate it and use it as its intended.

Any thoughts or advice is definitely welcome, and I'd love to chat with any Kraken owner about their experience. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Yes, they're not difficult to service. I took the class from @rsingler a few years ago for "normal” regs, and he helped me learn my Kraken too. Silent Explorers sells a rebuild kit of seats and o-rings. Scuba Museum also has other replacement parts.
If you get to the point of knowing that you won't dive it, you should be able to sell it easily to someone who will. But I really like mine. Since the bubbles exit behind my shoulders, it allows me to get closer to the fish for taking photos.

Not a Kraken owner, but I tinker on a number of doublehose regs including the Royal Aqua Master (grandfather of sorts to the Kraken). As @kevjli mentioned, parts are readily available and it is easy to work on. The basic design is pretty bulletproof. As to diving it, DH regs have a couple basic techniques to adjust to (related mainly to clearing the mouthpiece) and placement of the reg is critical (top of can at base of neck/cans pressed to back between top of shoulder blades) for best breathing characteristics. If you're ever down by lower Alabama/Florida panhandle I'd be happy to hit the springs with you (nice benign sites) to dive DH regs/share what I know.
TL/DR... Well worth diving and easy to work on, and service parts are readily available.

Respectfully,

James

I would be happy to service your Kraken, as I recently did for a guy in the military stationed in Oman. It got here and back faster thru APO than I would have believed!
As others have pointed out, @Luis H designed it to be compatible with the wealth of US Divers parts out there, with very few exceptions. He continues to be active in advancing its performance, and I love mine.
Unique parts are not completely unavailable, as I believe Bryan Pennington's small VDH stock is in safe keeping.

I am the proud owner of AK 14-021. After 10 years of diving it under many conditions it is still an awesome breather. Positioned correctly, it has a better than or equal to WOB as my Atomic B2 and my well-tuned Scubapro MK5/109. I am just starting to see some IP creep so I figure once every 10 years or so I should overhaul it (which, by the way, is very easy to do).
😎👀

The Kraken is at it's heart a Conshelf and with the exception of a couple of common orings, all of the normal service parts are the same ones in the Conshelf (as well as almost all AL/USD diaphragm regs) so as long as Aqualung is making parts, service parts are available. It's not hard to service although a HP nozzle tool is really helpful, if you have a friendly AL dealer, he can order it, it's a standard tool for most all AL regs.
I'm in Raleigh, if you would like to come down some day and get in some diving with it, there are several of us here who dive DH regs, including the AK.

There are not a lot of Argonauts around and there's always someone looking for one. If you decide to sell it don't take a loss.
If you decide to keep it, they are not difficult to dive and can be serviced without special tools. Have fun.

I am the owner of Kraken SN: AK19-077 but have actually never been diving with it. I got it in 2019, because I started browsing VDH and thought that it was so cool, and that I would have no problem diving it or getting it serviced by VDH.

I am just getting back into diving, and making plans for this summer to be much more active than I have been, and maybe even use my Kraken for the first time. I have read some posts by Luis and realize that the Kraken was designed in a way to be easily self serviceable, using many shared parts and such. My question is: with the unfortunate passing of Bryan, and the uncertainty of VDH as well as the Kraken, is it even worth it to keep and use?

I feel like I am doing it a disservice by not using it, but also do not know anyone in the vintage diving community, and feel like very few people even know what the Kraken is.

I realize how niche the Kraken is, and would like to hear the experiences of another owner whether it is worth keeping, or worth parting ways with to someone who can really appreciate it and use it as its intended.

Any thoughts or advice is definitely welcome, and I'd love to chat with any Kraken owner about their experience. Looking forward to hearing from you!
There are also a few repair techs who can service the Kraken. If You are having difficulty finding a tech, try Tarpoon Diving Center in Hialeah. Stephanie learned how to from Luis and does a great job.😊

The Kraken is at it's heart a Conshelf and with the exception of a couple of common orings, all of the normal service parts are the same ones in the Conshelf (as well as almost all AL/USD diaphragm regs) so as long as Aqualung is making parts, service parts are available. It's not hard to service although a HP nozzle tool is really helpful, if you have a friendly AL dealer, he can order it, it's a standard tool for most all AL regs.
I'm in Raleigh, if you would like to come down some day and get in some diving with it, there are several of us here who dive DH regs, including the AK.
That's awesome to hear. I'm actually outside of Roanoke (southwest VA), so not too far at all from Raleigh. I'd really appreciate getting in some dives with it, and especially getting some mentoring from people who know DH regs

There are not a lot of Argonauts around and there's always someone looking for one. If you decide to sell it don't take a loss.
If you decide to keep it, they are not difficult to dive and can be serviced without special tools. Have fun.
That's part of what was giving me doubts. I love owning something so cool and "niche" in a way, but also intimated by how much I *don't* know about it. Especially before talking to anyone else with DH experience. Sounds like I'll be okay with getting it serviced, or eventually learning to do it myself. Thanks so much for the comment!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom