Article: Caribbean coral reefs need parrotfish, sea urchins to survive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for posting the article link. So, Caribbean reefs are under high stress and in bad shape, and there's debate as to how much of this is climate change leading to warm water causing ejection of symbiotic algae from corals, versus how much is due to declining populations of parrotfish and sea urchins causing 'sea weed' overgrowth. If I understood right. Interesting stuff.

Richard.

90 experts, 3 years state that overfishing is 90% of the problem...YET most of the article goes off on a global warming tangent

Well which is it? Overfishing or global warming? I for one can guess camp gets 99% of all research $.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

May well be multifactorial. People debate the climate change thing, I believe mainly on the basis of efforts to blame it on CO2 emissions and set big government up selling 'carbon credits' and exerting more control over our lives. Thing is, there are other potential contributors. Some natural long-term variation, perhaps. And look at the massive global deforestation that's occurred over the centuries.

For sake of argument, perhaps warm water episodes are doing significant damage periodically. In some places, add on pollution, such as sewage, which can fuel algae overgrowth. Not over-fish and wreck the natural balance of life. Still not enough? Okay, decimate large stretches of mangrove forests that serve as nurseries for juvenile stages of many marine species, to further upset the natural balance.

It becomes multi-factorial, where a stressed system is more vulnerable to additional insults. Like a sick 80 year old elder with emphysema from long-term heavy smoking going in the hospital in a debilitated condition, contracting pneumonia and dying of respiratory failure. Cause of death? Well, you could say pneumonia, but there's more to it.

Richard.

My point was more regarding the article itself. It almost seemed (to me anyway) that global warming is the be all and end all and how dare someone say otherwise. Call me jaded. Why did the author feel the need to need to disprove the title of the article?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There are a lot of people out there with agendas looking for an opportunity and attention so as to drive their agenda. Somebody saw a soap box opportunity in that article and jumped on it. Now, if the original agenda of the article wasn't the same as that person's agenda, oh well...

I get more than enough of them at work. I used to think I was cynical, but as I get older and see more of the mechanizations of my fellow humans, I look back and consider myself naive.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom