ArtW is a very bad man

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrownedRat

Reaction score
Insidious even :) Did a nice boat drift dive last night out in Brockville, water was 18c at 51ft and we drifted for about 38min. Not much to see but still a great dive.
Now on to why Art is evil. I've been happy in my ignorance of the whole BP/Wing setup. I mean most of the good folks I dive with own them, so I've seen them and had chats about some of the advantages but other than that it was just a different setup. I'd always admired the fact that you can really cleanup the danglies and get a nice streamlined config going.
So anyway, last week Art offered to go back to his "poodle jacket" and let me take the wing out for a spin... I was excited all week, looking forward to finally trying this wing thang out. Well, I'm hooked, just when I thought I didn't need to spend any more mony :)
I was blown away by the comfort. It was absolutly amazing, no danglies, my chest wasn't at all constricted (not that my BS is overly tight, just in comparison). It felt like little strings were holding me up in a horizontal position, once I got the knee positioning down a little better my frog kick improved tenfold. I typically always use that kick style but the power really became apparent with the imporved horizontal position. Not that I don't keep horizontal now but in my BC I have to work a bit to maintain it, with the wing it was almost effortless.
Anyway, thanks to Art for opening my eyes, and damn you at the same time as that's 800 bucks I didn't want to spend lol. :eyebrow:

On December 27, 2003 I was irreparably influenced. I borrowed Roberts BP/wing at the end of a dive. I was underweighted with an empty AL-80 at the Conestoga. After dropping to about 18' it all seamed so obviously clear. This is what almost effortless hoizontzal trim feels like. Without question the BP/wing was the gear for the job. The decision process lasted about the first 10 minutes and I bought one the next day. Poodle jacket in sudden retirement. So Shawn... how long will you last in your poodle jacket after that experience?

Are there plans for that under the DIY section? :)

d33ps1x:
Get yourself an old stop sign and some clorox jugs the way they used to do it. Get all retro. :D

That depends, you still in the market for a 2001 Katana 750? lol

Under Michael:
On December 27, 2003 I was irreparably influenced. I borrowed Roberts BP/wing at the end of a dive. I was underweighted with an empty AL-80 at the Conestoga. After dropping to about 18' it all seamed so obviously clear. This is what almost effortless hoizontzal trim feels like. Without question the BP/wing was the gear for the job. The decision process lasted about the first 10 minutes and I bought one the next day. Poodle jacket in sudden retirement. So Shawn... how long will you last in your poodle jacket after that experience?

When did poodle jacket come to mean jacket style BCD?
It was originally a disparaging term for the type of alternate second stage holder which covers the mouthpiece.

TDunbar:
It was originally a disparaging term for the type of alternate second stage holder which covers the mouthpiece.
We called that'n a "scumball."
Rick

TDunbar:
I think "poodle jacket" may be an "art"-ism.............

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom