Aruba, Curacao, in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curt76

Registered
Reaction score
Highland, Indiana. 30 minutes from downtown Chicag
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be doing a cruise in December that goes to St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Aruba, and Curacao. I have done diving in Aruba and Curacao at Sunset Waters. The cruise ships go to the ports of each spot so I would want to know the best dive ops for each stop. I would rather dive in small groups. I know I can set this up on the ship but would rather do some of the set up before I leave. Thanks to all that can help me with this.

I will be doing a cruise in December that goes to St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Aruba, and Curacao. I have done diving in Aruba and Curacao at Sunset Waters. The cruise ships go to the ports of each spot so I would want to know the best dive ops for each stop. I would rather dive in small groups. I know I can set this up on the ship but would rather do some of the set up before I leave. Thanks to all that can help me with this.

For Curacao I would agree with Curacao Sunshine. COntact Mark and Suzy at

The Dive Bus - HOME

Dive with Clive at Dive Aruba.
He'll pick you up where the ship docks and return you.
Small groups of about 6 or less.
Great Guy !

Dive Aruba with Clive!!!

I was scheduled with another local operator in Aruba (I won't nameo anybody specifically). I called and emailed weeks before the trip. I was told to call the day I got there to touch base and I did so. Three calls from the hotel and basically, the unmentioned dive opp jerked me around until 14 hours before scheduled dive day number one, before he let me know they weren't diving on Monday at all. Folks, I'm on vacation, days are totally numbered, hours count, and stuff is scheduled for later in the week. I have three days to dive, and I was counting (and had planned) on it.

Reasons to dive with CLIVE ("Dive Aruba")
- He has a SCHEDULE that he sticks with.
- He is the opposite of the cattle boats so common these days (6-7 divers max)
- Liberal (not dangerous) dive profiles not linked to the heaviest breather in the group
- I had a shallow drift that lasted 1:15 (I breath lighter than some and was allowed to enjoy it)
- He's an extremely skilled boat pilot - he saw my bubbles before I saw his boat.
- I was never left drifting or looking - none of us were - Clive was always there
- Pick up and drop off from your hotel (always on time)
- Water and such provided on boat
- Excellent pre-dive briefings - Excellent English
- Just a nice guy and a skilled dive operator

I did three 2-tank days and a night dive with Clive. He never failed to impress. Dive with Clive with Dive Aruba - Scuba Classes, Dive Trips and Equipment Rentals you won't be sorry. Regardless of who you do finally choose, if you receive good service, tip them well... when I left the island 7/11/08, gas had just gone up again there. Treat them right and you'll receive it back 10 fold.

More questions on Clive... Happy to share what I know.

But does Clive put a DM in the water with you as a guide? Personally when I travel I like the DM around to point out cools stuff I would miss on my own.

Hi Linda,

No, no Dive Master with Clive (but something tells me you already knew that) :)

Clive dives with you top-to-bottom-and-back for wreck and night dives and for the first 20-30 minutes of the gentle drifts we did. With 5 of us diving, Basically, we had a private guide for the majority of our bottom time... I wouldn't get that on a cattle boat (not saying they're all cattle boats - so no flames intended).

As far as pointing stuff out, I have some video (actually 7 dives worth) of cool stuff that Clive managed to brief us on, point us to, and otherwise make us aware of. As far as missing something due to lack of a DM in the water... call Clive what you want, but he's a pretty good "pointer," and besides... it's pretty hard to miss the Antilla. It's about 400 feet long :)

I realize that each will have their own opinion on what constitutes a good dive experience. Mine... a dive operator that makes me feel safe, well briefed, and one who allows me to get the absolute most out of my limited dive time while on vacation. When I go back, I'll go with Clive and Dive Aruba. That said, I acknowledge your greater diving experience and respect your stated opinion.

I pretty much need someone who has a DM in the water the friend I am going with needs more baby sitting then I can handle on my own (she is still fairly new), and if she were not going I would be solo and that is something that does not appeal to me. We still have a couple of months to find an operator (I guess I am going to take that responsibility) then send her the possible ones and see what she thinks.

We will be at the Casa Del Mar in the low rise end of the strip. However I think most ops will pick us up.

Can you please PM me who to avoid? :blinking:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom