Aruba Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AGF

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm off to Aruba in a couple of weeks, staying at Divi Village, and wanted some info on the reasonably priced (cheap, cheap, cheap!!!!!) restaurants and bars in the area.

Seriously it doesn't have to be Joe's hot dog stand, but I'm not into expensive dining just reasonable food and atmosphere.

Any info appreciated as all money saved will be donated to my dive package............

Hi,
We liked Texas de Brasil across the street from the Playa Linda Resort on Palm Beach. Food was excellent and they just keep bringing it as long as you can eat it. It is approx $30 per person, includes the largest salad bar I have ever seen, then they bring plantains, black beans & rice to the table and the waiters circulate the dining area with all types of meat that has been grilled (beef, pork, chicken, sausages & lamb). They slice the meat off onto your plate and if you don't want any of a particular kind you just say no and ask them to bring the kind of meat you do want. You have this little post thats painted red and green. Red means don't bring anymore and green means bring it, you just turn up the color you want. The food was good and the style of eating was a new experience for us that we really enjoyed.

We found that food anywhere was not cheap in Aruba, but we had some great meals. Madame Janettes was superb. We really enjoyed eating at the Pelican as it is right on the water by the Playa Linda. Food was very good, cooked right there on a large grill and the setting was awesome. Also prices we felt for the area was reasonable. They also have their boats right there for diving & snorkeling. There is a steak house downtown that everyone said was fantastic, but we found it to be expensive and food was OK but reminded us of any true steak house in the USA.

Have a great trip. We really enjoyed Aruba and can't wait to go back again.
Zuzanne

Maybe this will help...
http://www.arubahouse.com/
If you look on the page they have a link to their restaurant reviews and descriptions, they update it every season or so.

Thanks for the information guys - looks very useful

2Diver - I'm in Caracas now and arrive in Aruba later in the week - I'll let you know my opinion of the diving when I get back to the UK.

2divers:
How was the diving (condition of the reefs)?

It's "ok" at best. I dunno how I would rate them so I would do this...not as good as Cozumel, better than Punta Cana, DR. But I would have to say, I loved the Sonesta Airplane Dive.

I come to this part of the world from the UK as I have relatives living in Venezuela, and I combine my dive trip with a visit to Caracas.

Last year I did Margarita island which was poor diving - and what made it worse was that none of the dive centres seem to dive every day.

The reason I chose Aruba this time was that

a) my wife is a non diver and wanted things to occupy her in my absence
b) the accomodation prices in Curacao and Bonaire were deplorable and a rip-off
c) it needed to be somewhere with a direct flight from Caracas of no less that 1 hour, and where I could also get a direct flight back to Europe.

I will post my view of the reefs and diving, but I compare everything to the Red Sea, which in my opinion is undoubtably the best dive region for quality underwater and variety - certainly I've yet to find anywhere as good in the Carribean.

KidK9:
It's "ok" at best. I dunno how I would rate them so I would do this...not as good as Cozumel, better than Punta Cana, DR. But I would have to say, I loved the Sonesta Airplane Dive.

I appreciate what you're saying - but like I said earlier I have to take into consideration a non-diving wife, and suitable accomodation was extortionate on both Curacao and Bonaire.

As it was I managed to swap my timeshare week in Europe for 11 days in a 5* resort in Aruba - at only the cost of the exchange fee!

No contest I'm afraid - and anyway most of us here in the UK like wrecks, particularly when the viz is good enough to actually see them!!!!!

jkennedy:
Aruba is expensive and mostly wreck diving. Not the best of the ABC's. Try Bonaire next time for diving........Jack

I'll look forward to your update on the island and its diving.
I hope that you enjoy your trip.
Thanks.
cg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom