Aruba, my first night dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alashas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Seven of us visited Aruba in March, and arranged a week’s worth of dives with Clive Paula of http://www.divearuba.com Clive was highly recommended by numerous divers, and we were not disappointed in the least!

Only two of us were interested in doing our first night dive, and it was awesome! Our dive boat attached to a buoy near one of the 3 sunken airplanes a couple of hundred yards in front of Renaissance Island. It was kind of surreal as my brother, our dive master, Clive Paula, and I sat in silence on the boat in the moonless night for a moment, hearing only the waves, while, just a few hundred yards on shore we could also hear the band playing and people partying on Renaissance Island. Trust me, I think we had a much more enjoyable experience than any of them, but "to each his or her own," especially while vacationing in Aruba!

I entered the water first and could see the bottom about 25 ft below me with my bright light. As I descended, I could look up and see the light from the boat, as well as the lights from my brother and Clive as they began their descent. Once the three of us were on the bottom, we gradually swam down a coral reef to the plane wreck in about 75 ft of water. Everything underwater becomes more colorful at night, and the coral glowed orange, yellow, and pink whenever the bright beams of our lights shone on it. Most of the fish were asleep and glowed with every color imaginable. When we turned off our lights and quickly moved our hands back and forth through the water, plankton and other phosphorescent particles sparkled as though hundreds of lightening bugs were suddenly swimming (or is it “flying?”) all around us.

The plane, a turbo prop, I’m guessing a 16 seater or so, had been deliberately sunk in the water about 50 yrs ago, and has broken in to several large pieces. There was beautiful coral on the plane’s surface, snoozing fish inside, and several large moral eels and crustaceans underneath and under various parts of the wreckage. The current was stronger than Clive had anticipated, and he said he normally sees more fish at the site. French Angelfish are one of the most beautiful fish to encounter in the water, and, while swimming back to boat, my brother and saw the largest one we have ever seen, approx. 30 inches in diameter, happily snuggled inside a large coral and sponge garden.

Once ashore, my brother and I celebrated our dive by sharing a 5 pound Caribbean lobster at Don Carlo’s Ristorante Italiano on the waterfront. We had so much lobster left over that our group of 7 enjoyed homemade lobster alfredo for our last dinner in our villa. Cheers!

nice report, alashas.

i still remember my first night dive in the Caribbean (Grand Cayman)

Night dives are always some of my favorite parts of any dive vacation I've taken. Having a small dive group like that always help make it a more memorable experience too. Looks like you're off to a good start on enjoying more night dives to come!

Aruba has one of my favorite night dives, the Antilla. We did a penetration one night and found an eel free swimming inside the wreck, chasing silversides. We tried to spotlight them for him, but the poor thing still couldn't see them. It was an incredible dive.

Mine was off Scott's Head in Dominica. I was floored! (It was also only about my 7th dive after certification!) I loved the creatures I hadn't seen during the day, the way the black background set off the fish life and the effect of turning out toward the "blue" and switching my light off; the sense of being completely devoid of any bearings or weight was fantastic!

Regards,

peterjmaerz:
Mine was off Scott's Head in Dominica. I was floored! (It was also only about my 7th dive after certification!) I loved the creatures I hadn't seen during the day, the way the black background set off the fish life and the effect of turning out toward the "blue" and switching my light off; the sense of being completely devoid of any bearings or weight was fantastic!

Regards,
Mine was on the reef in front of Captain Don's Habitat in Bonaire. Got me hooked!

Of course, most of the day dives on the NJ coast in the early 80s (when they were still dumping right offshore) could be considered night dives.:)

Mine was at Comal Springs in Texas as part of my AOW, and it was OK - freshwater dive. My first saltwater night dive was at Turtle Reef on Grand Cayman, and that site remains one of our all-time favorite shore dive sites, day or night, throughout our travels. We had done several day dives there that same trip, with just the 2 of us and an Instructor/DM named Ian from Divetech, and then we had Ian to ourselves for the night dive also! This was our first time to experience the bioluminescent plankton just as you've described above.

We also did our tech cert checkout dives years later as shore dives at Turtle Reef - one of which was also a night dive. A Divetech DM using a rebreather was just getting a group of night divers out of the water as we were getting ready to enter, so he joined us for a second night dive! He'd pre-scout with no bubbles, and point out things for us to photograph. Our only swimming crinoid photo in our collection came from that dive.

Can anyone help me with equipment needs for diving in Aruba. This is my first trip to the Caribbean (and first warm water dive for that matter). I live in Northeast US and dive off east coast so I typically dive with the cold water wreck diver set-up (dry suit, heavy gloves, open heel fins with boots, steel tanks with mixed gas, lots of "D" rings with toys attached, etc.) I have been diving off and on for over 10 years with this type of gear and now find myself having difficulty trying to determine what I will need, what I can do without and what I am better off renting once I get there. Also, can anyone offer any input on "Red Sail Sports" ? They are the dive operator at the resort where I will be staying. Thanks

no idea on Red Sail Sports, but as far as gear, i've gone diving in Bonaire with
only a skin and a 3 mil farmer john bottom over that, and booties. i was
a tad chilly, but i get cold easily. i imagine you probably don't have that problem =)

as far as the rest of the setup, simpler is better. i just use a steel plate with
wings, a backup light (as primary) for night dives, a line cutter, and a safety
sausage (on a small pocket). no need for weights, and it all fits into a mesh bag

I have been to both Aruba and Bonaire. I usually dive in a skin the first day, but after the core temp is lowered a bit, you'll need some exposure protection. A one piece 3/2 works great for me. You won't need gloves and in fact they are discouraged. I only wear them for protection if I am diving a wreck. No hood, either. Just let the hair fly in the current. I have been diving with Red Sail. They had a good staff when I was there about 3 years ago. There are some good wrecks to dive. Some of the reefs were in bad shape, though.

Aruba has some of the best food in the Caribbean and it's a fun place. I'll go back some day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom