Aruba Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeFlaneur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just got back from Aruba and I thought I'd dash off a little report. It wasn't a dive trip per se, but we did get in 3 partial days of diving.

We went with Clive at Dive Aruba (www.divearuba.com). He comes well recommended on this board and I can add my recommendation to that. Clive is an Aruban native and pretty much a one man show. He picks you up at your hotel in his beat-up van, drives you to his house/dive shop to do the paper work, then to the harbor where his little boat waits in the shadow of the giant cruise ships. One afternoon dive my girlfreind and I were the only people on the boat. Otherwise we never had more than 7 people total.

People on this board seem to ask often if Aruba is "worth it." In my opinion it is. You could certainly fill a week or two with nothing but diving and be very happy.

According to most people who have dived there, the one dive you should do in Aruba is the Antilla wreck. We didn't do it. We had some screwy weather and the Antilla was milked up both days we had a chance to go.

Conditions on Aruba are like that apparently. The same day that the Antilla was low viz, the Jane Sea has some of the best conditions they had seen. We saw some great formations and the usual fish. No big ticket items (other than the largest green moray I've ever seen) but that's the luck of the draw.

So here's what I did

Sponge reef - 40' okay drift dive. Lots of sponges as they say. But probably the weakest of what.

Jane Sea wreck - 95' really fun. some non-overhead sections allow for swim throughs. Don't miss it.

Barcadera reef - 40' - 50' - good drift dive with a little barge wreck toward the end to explore.

Finger Reef - 110' nice black coral that looks like little pine trees. Very fun dive. Another one you should do.

Mas Bango reef - similar to Barcadera.

All the dives I did were swimming distance from the tiny barrier islands that run along much of the southwest side. Navigation by depth is easy on the gradual sloped reef.

I agree with others too -- the Flying Fishbone in Savaneta is a great spot for a final night splurge especially if you're with that special someone. Gasparito in Noord was another favorite.

All that said, I will probably not go back to Aruba. The reason for me is that for a Aruba has about zero native culture left. For all its brightly-colored dutch-style buildings, Oranjestad felt like a cross between an outlet mall and Epcot center with no remnants of its history left intact. All this is subjective of course - I'm more of a stew chicken and plantains kinda guy.

Marina Pirata is a stew chicken and plantain kind of place at Mangel Halto. Aruba is definitely not "cultural" as in not modern. Not a place to go see the Caribbean as it used to be. However, the Arubans have money and education, and they want the same conveniences Americans want---and they have them! They also have good water!

I agree there's a lot to be said for good education and 0% unemployment. You bring up a good point. Some of the "scruffiness" I love about other destinations may be a side effect of poverty. But I just found myself wishing they hadn't turned everything into a diamond shop and Louis Vuitton outlet. There's got to be some middle ground -- and maybe there is if I had more time to sniff around.

My wife and I were in Aruba in December and had a great time getting our ow certs with the folks at SE Fly 'n Dive. They were a friendly bunch and their instructors were very tough on us. It was good training. They, too, picked us up at our hotel every morning. I would definitely use them again if we go back to Aruba.

By the way, the "Fly" part of their name is because the shop owner loves to fly, and when he's in the mood he'll fly a bunch of divers to Bonaire for a day trip of diving (flying below the reccomended altitude of course).

We stayed at the "Boardwalk" which is a family owned hotel made up of little free standing apartments, complete with kitchens and barbeque grills. There's only a dozen or so rooms and the staff treats you like royalty - all for a lot less money than the big hotels.

You are right about the native culture. It has largely been pushed aside in the name of tourism. Still, if you plan to spend your vacation in the water, like we did, it's not bad.

Will we go back? Probably not, simply because there are too many other islands in the Caribbean to explore.

Mountain Dog

and dove with Clive of Dive Aruba. He's great, and the diving was super. Lots of good restaurants, too, including Flying Fishbone, where the tables are in the water and Madame Janette's [reserve Mme janette's as soon as you arrive, for later in the week] and Le Dome. Stayed at Bucuti, a small hotel in the low rise area, most of the guests were European, and it's a nice, intimate place with a beautiful beach.

highlandfarmwv:
Hey, Mountaindog, Where are you from? I live on a mountaintop in Raleigh County, WV.

I'm in Jefferson County, just outside of Charles Town.

Mountain Dog

Thanks for the report. Planning on diving with Clive in September.
Sounds like a solid choice !:D

Well, if you stay in the tourist area's you should not expect to see any "native culture" in Aruba. If that is what you want to see, you should probably go back to Aruba in time for Carnaval or simply head out to San Nicolas, which definitely does not look like Epcot Center. Some of the best reefs in Aruba are all near San Nicolas anyway (Cabes Reef, Baby Beach Reef and Indian Head Reef). Cabes Reef is arguably the best shore dive on the island. There is a great dive shop near Baby Beach called JADS. They specialize in diving the reefs in the San Nicolas area. JADS as well as the reefs I’ve mentioned, come highly recommended.

My husband and I just got back from getting our Wreck Specialty with SEA Aruba Fly n Dive. Had a great time - did 4 solid days of diving. We really enjoyed the Jane Sea and dove the Antilla twice (they laughed when we asked to do it a third time and had us go out to the reefs for a change of pace). Also, had an amazing dive at the Pedernales. Thousands of bait fish swam over us as we were diving- had to turn on my dive light. Lots of residents too (big crabs, eels, etc.).

I would second heading down to San Nicolas. Not just because Charlie's Bar was great fun but also because you get to see the "unmanicured" side of Aruba during the bus ride down. School was letting out so we rode with a bunch of high-school aged kids who were very friendly and eager to talk about the differences between Aruba and the US. Would have done more excursions like that had we not been underwater most of the time. :)

Back
Top Bottom