As luck would have it....(and a video) :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaAndDreams

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So,

I had a technical diver from Canada contact me a while ago. He wanted to come out and do some technical diving. Heck yeah! I said..."No problem!". (btw there were no charges, so you can keep this on the main board leesa:)). Afterall, I can't pass up going on a sweet 200' dive on the West Side. Prior to us going diving though, we wanted to make sure that we knew that each other had the skills to make us both comfortable as a buddy team to go dive to 200'. He joined our little group for our tweak dive on thursday, and we did a night dive on friday...everything went well. John is an exceptional diver with extremely good skills.

We planned on diving on the West side on Sunday. We puttered out on my zodiac to the site, dropped the decent line/buoy and were 3 minutes from getting into the water when we received a call on ch16 from a large vessel nearby.

Them: "What are your intentions, zodiac?"
Us: "Uhm, go diving?"
Them: "What is the nature of your diving operation?"
Us" "Uhm...recreational?"
Them: "There will be a US Navy submersible in the exact spot you are sitting on in 2-0 minutes"
Us: "Ooook...so, no diving then?"
Them: "That's affirmative...go one mile north"

After an exchange of some expletives between us on the boat we headed north, long story short we never did get to do the dive and I still have $300 worth of Trimix in three sets of doubles sitting in my garage as we speak....no big deal stuff happens.

As we pull the boat back onto the trailer we notice that the right trailer tire is flat, no spare (now I have one, lesson learned). No biggy, Tom will just run to his house get the air compressor and fill the tire. After 25 minutes he returns we fill the tire and head back to my house. Halfway to my house the tire is flat again, we pull over tom fills the tire and we go on our merry way...or so we thought.

ONE mile from my house, BOOMMM tire comes off the rim, smoke everywhere ... I pull over and after an exchange of some more expletives we decide that John and Jay would stay with the boat while Tom and I would go find another tire...

We go to to Lex Brodies, Sears, Firestone, Home Depot, Wal Mart...(in my drysuit underwear, and no shoes mind you) guess what NO ONE HAS that tire. 90 minutes later we decide to drive the boat w/trailer back to the house on its RIM. To top it all off, Tom sliced himself a nice cut into his forehead while changing my tire.....so long story...all to say that John's Sunday in Hawaii was struck by Mr. Murphy on more then one occassion and I AM SORRY :) Thanks for being a good sport John...:)

Anyways...below is a video of the night dive....watch till the end :)
HD version here.

Mahalo,

Sherman "Stuff Happens" Johns

well we did almost run into it (zodiac vs con tower) on the way back...not sure if that counts :)

btw there were no charges, so you can keep this on the main board leesa:)).

:blinking:

Oh man, talk about bad luck! John is a Great guy and an excellent diver. Glad that Friday turned out good, just too bad I couldn't join ya...

Fun video and great music. Beautiful flatworm!

Sorry about the tanks full of trimix, but there will be another, deeper day . . .

Next time, just reply back with this...

Them: "There will be a US Navy submersible in the exact spot you are sitting on in 2-0 minutes"
Us: "Ooook...so, no diving then?"
Them: "That's affirmative...go one mile north"
Us: ah...negative, we already have one diver down and can't leave for 3 hrs...sorry"

Then throw the mic down and roll off and start lookin for the sub!

Great Video Thank you Sherman, I still had a great time with you guys. I think Tom was the best sport of all, wounded during dive operations sunday, dealing with his canister light on friday.

Like we discussed, "the test of a true adventure, is that it dos not seem like one while your having it" LOL

JohnW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom