Asia/South Pacific in September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marylstar

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We've got only two weeks in early September to choose a dive location(s) in Asia/South Pacific. I've always had Indonesia/Raja Ampat on the brain for obvious reasons but I am getting conflicting info about the weather in September and it being a decent time to travel there . So where to go for a dive trip of a lifetime?? For those of you who have dove multiple places, what was your mod treasured experience? Liveaboards probably not an option for us (husband is not big on spending the whole vacation with other divers, although if they really are the most incredible option i may be able to convince him for one week). We are intermediate divers having only dove in the Caribbean. So far from research considering Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia… wrecks of no interest, we'd especially enjoy big marine life and great topography. Our budget is middle of the road, nothing as high end as Misool in Raja Ampat (though they are closed anyway that week it appears). Thanks in advance for any input!

Hi Marylstar,

I have dived most of teh places on your list other than Raja ( which i am debating for Jan 2015 as I write this).

Simillans in Thailand are still recovering from a coral bleach 5-6 years ago though I hear this past season has been fab.

Komodo ( Liveaboard only) is fantastic and my wife and I are repeating the trip this coming August.

Sipedan, Malaysia should tick all your boxes, liveaboard not necessary, wide variety of accommodation on Mabul and Kapalai near by. Turtles, Reef Sharks, Bumphead Parrot fish, tornados of Baraccuda and Jacks, stunning walls as well as world class macro diving at Mabul.

Do research into the permit situation at Sipedan and specifically as any resort you talk to what their policy is.

Other than that, Any where in the Philippines, though other than Malapascua and Moalboal for Thresher Sharks hard to find big stuff. Palau is great for Sharks and and Mantas though can be heavy current.

Fiji has some of the finest soft coral and aquarium style fish life in the world as well as a number of possible shark dives.

Tulamben in Bali, Indonesia, is great. We are going back there in August for just over two weeks. Very cheap too.

We've got only two weeks in early September to choose a dive location(s) in Asia/South Pacific. I've always had Indonesia/Raja Ampat on the brain for obvious reasons but I am getting conflicting info about the weather in September and it being a decent time to travel there . So where to go for a dive trip of a lifetime?? For those of you who have dove multiple places, what was your mod treasured experience? Liveaboards probably not an option for us (husband is not big on spending the whole vacation with other divers, although if they really are the most incredible option i may be able to convince him for one week). We are intermediate divers having only dove in the Caribbean. So far from research considering Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia… wrecks of no interest, we'd especially enjoy big marine life and great topography. Our budget is middle of the road, nothing as high end as Misool in Raja Ampat (though they are closed anyway that week it appears). Thanks in advance for any input!
Come the new Zealand and dive the Poor knights. You simply cannot get bored there

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom