Asking advice: Suunto Dx with Transmitter for USD 700 - Bad deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everyone! Due to family issues, I had to stop diving after just a few trips many years ago, but now I'm finally able to start to get wet again.
I was looking for a dive computer since my old Mosquito was lent out and never returned and found the above deal from an authorized retailer. Apparently its a clearance sale as Suunto Dx is no longer available in this country and the distributor is clearing stocks. For USD700, its the cheapest deal I can find on an air integrated dive computer with transmitter.
However, when I went to another dive shop to get other stuff, I was discussing this purchase and the shop owner told me to run far, far away from the deal as service support is abysmal, there have been several cases of the item breaking down unreasonably and since it was discontinued, upkeep in future would be unpredictable especially as Suunto has been sold off to another company. He advised me to buy a Shearwater Teric instead

I would like to ask for your opinions: Is the item really that bad that it should be avoided like the plague? I know about the conservative algo and decompression lockout, although I'm fine with conservative (I have an unreasonable fear of the bends) and I don't intend to go anywhere near decompression limits. USD700 is probably the cheapest, by far, that I can find for an air integrated dive computer with transmitter. A shearwater Teric plus transmitter would cost me, locally, at least twice the amount and a Garmin three times that.

My intention is to dive strictly within no decompression limits and not push it and I don't see myself going "technical" My reason for wanting an air transmitter is because when I used to dive, I recall once or twice I came up with low ( but not dangerously so)air because I got engrossed watching the fishies and corals, so something on my wrist would be far more accessible than my console dangling off me.

Thanks again everyone for your advice!

The price for the Dx is WAY too much. I wouldn't buy it even if it were $50.

I would consider the new Scubapro dive computer, the LUNA 2.0. It has an air integrated and non-air integrated version. Both are very competitively priced and have all the features you will need for a recreational diver. check this post for more information:

P.S. The prices for Scubapro in Asia may even be less expensive than the prices for the EMEA region :)

No, it wasn't at all. Huish has the distribution right for Suunto in the US but isn't the owner of Suunto.

Faaak me!!! How many people are going to pile on about me making this mistake???!!!

Does it really matter?
Whether or not Huish owned or only distributed Suunto sh!t in North America is not really germane to the OP's question...it was only provided to give some history/background. Any mention of who owns/distributes Suunto could just have easily been omitted and it would have had zero impact on the over-arching gist of my response to the OP.

I admit, I got it wrong. Now go back and read through the rest of the thread and see that this very minor issue in accuracy has already been pointed out.

-Z

Suunto was bough by Huish Outdoors a small handful of years ago.
Edit: sorry, I just now read your post above. Didn't realize others had addressed this. But for anyone interested, I hope I add a bit of something useful.

Until around 2015, Aqualung handled distribution of Suunto dive products in the US. Around that time, AL introduced its own line of dive computers and ended their distribution deal with AL. It was at that time that Suunto arranged with Huish to be the Suunto distributor in the US, and I believe they still are. (I was working for Sport Chalet in California at the time; the store was both an Aqualung dealer and sold Huish brands, so I remember when we stopped getting Suunto from AL and started getting it from Huish.)

Suunto is owned by the Chinese technology company, Lieshing.
Did not know this... interesting. Hopefully Suunto is allowed to just keep doing their Finnish thing up in Finland, without any interference from their Chinese owners.

Edit: looks like this just happened last year.

Faaak me!!! How many people are going to pile on about me making this mistake???!!!

Don't be so hard on yourself :p You know that the only time students pay real attention to what their teacher is saying is when the teacher makes a mistake? It is so much fun :)

Reactions: Zef

Back
Top Bottom