Asthma 7 Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuby Dooby

Reaction score
I've read up a bit on asthma and diving and it seems that some kinds of asthma are not necessarily a no no anymore. A question for people in the medical know -

My son is almost 11 and he very much wants his c card. I'm making him wait until 12 among other things so that he is more mature both physically and cognitively. He also has had asthma on and off since he was 9. Here is how he is affected:

When pollution starts picking up here in Hong Kong in the winter he will often start to have what seems to be a cold but is actually the start of his asthma. We start him on a steroid inhaler and he uses ventolin as needed to keep his lungs clear. This generally lasts for 1 - 2 weeks and then clears up. He then goes throughout most of the rest of the winter continuing the steroid but with no symptoms of asthma and no need for the ventolin. Sometimes it will flare up once or twice again through the winter but is easy to control with ventolin.

Outside of this season, the other 9 months of the year his lungs are clear and he uses no meds. Even during the months where he is using medication he never has asthma attacks from allergins, exercise, cold air etc. Just a slowly developing sort of a 'cold' that goes away in a couple of weeks.

Am I giving him false hope that at 12 he might be seen as medically fit to learn to dive?

Thanks for any experiences / help.

Joe

Hi Scuby Doobie,

There are some informative threads on asthma & diving in the board archives. You can access them by hitting the search button at the top this page. Doing so should take you here--> http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1580&highlight=asthma

The physician treating your son's asthma would have the final say in medical clearance for scuba. Based on what you've reported, such clearance certainly appears worth pursuing.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom