Question At what age can a kid start diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @undefined

Where have you dived with your son other than local?

Both my kids got certified at 12, before the age was 10. We have now been diving with our son for 26 years and with out daughter for 21 years. I hope you enjoy diving as a family as much as we do.
He did his OW in Maui back in July. We've dove quarries here in Tennessee and Kentucky every weekend since then. We're taking him to Roatan for 9 days next month. That will likely wrap up our 2023 diving, as we don't own drysuits and are not trained on their use. Next year we're planning another Roatan trip (we have friends there, so it is our favorite) and a to-be-determined trip to some other warm water destination.

I'd like to take him down to the Oriskany, but I want to get him more time in true open water diving before committing to that. He's also expressed an interest in going back to Hawaii (Big Island next time) to dive with the manta rays.

All four of mine started at 11/12. Honestly though, that had more to do with being able to afford enough kit to get them in the water and when Mum allowed.
Two still dive, one is a “maybe” resort diver with an irrational fear of sharks (that’s she’s never seen in the wild), one never could clear his ears. The two who still dive (15m&18f now) are proper Frog kicking, long hose lovelies. They’ll know when they’re ready and so will you after a pool session or six. I’ve seen little tackers with s40s on their backs, but only where they live in all year round diving environments.
No.s 3&4 both 11 first dive season.

Attachments

• IMG_0131.jpeg
    IMG_0131.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4581.jpeg
    IMG_4581.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 47
He did his OW in Maui back in July. We've dove quarries here in Tennessee and Kentucky every weekend since then. We're taking him to Roatan for 9 days next month.
I'm also in Tennessee and my son was certified at 13. Quarry dives have really been a great way to improve buoyancy, trim, kicks, air consumption, and practice skills like sharing air and deploying a DSMB smoothly (we like drift diving, so an important skill). Hope y'all have a great trip!

All four of mine started at 11/12. Honestly though, that had more to do with being able to afford enough kit to get them in the water and when Mum allowed.
Two still dive, one is a “maybe” resort diver with an irrational fear of sharks (that’s she’s never seen in the wild), one never could clear his ears. The two who still dive (15m&18f now) are proper Frog kicking, long hose lovelies. They’ll know when they’re ready and so will you after a pool session or six. I’ve seen little tackers with s40s on their backs, but only where they live in all year round diving environments.
No.s 3&4 both 11 first dive season.
A little off topic, but the the sea is such a great place for kids to develop an appreciation for nature. I put up that pic of No.4’s first dive, but it was more amazing than that. About two years earlier, one of the seals in the bay, developed an attachment to her. We don’t know why. One day when she was snorkelling “Spot” followed her all the time she was in the water and then would rush over, every time she came down to the bay.
Two years later and Spot followed us through the whole of her first dive. When we climbed back up the steps, Spot followed us up. Which was when we spotted the hook in her neck. She was wary of me and seals can be pretty dangerous, but No.4 convinced me to let her try. Spot meekly let her pull the hook, without flinching, then slipped away. Still comes to greet her, even now.

Attachments

• IMG_2561.jpeg
    IMG_2561.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2562.jpeg
    IMG_2562.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4581.jpeg
    IMG_4581.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4586.jpeg
    IMG_4586.jpeg