At what depth and with how much air do you weigh yourself neutral?

At what depth and with how much air do you weigh yourself neutral

• At surface

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • At 10 ft depth

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • At 15 ft depth

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Deeper than 15 ft depth

• Less than 500 psi in tank

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • With 500 psi in tank

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • With 500 psi to 1000 psi in tank

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • With full tank

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
At the surface

At 10 ft. depth

At 15 ft depth

Deeper than 15 ft depth

With 500 psi in tank

Less than 500 psi in tank

500 psi to 1000 psi in tank

With full tank

I'am aware of different recommended depths for stablishing neutral buoyancy. Is there a generally accepted optimum depth in which to weigh oneself. What are the pros and cons of various weighing markers?

Also I hear that 500 psi is best for determining proper weight to carry. Since 500 psi is about 13 cf. in the standard aluminum 80, is this what should be considered as optimum regardless of tank size?

I've seen posts where non US divers use 700 psi as opposed to 500 psi to surface as a standard. Do you guys weigh yourself at 700 psi?

Moderator,

Please change poll to allow multiple entries and delete first post.

Thank You

I guess I was taught to do a neutral buoyancy check w/500 psi in my tank at the surface with no air in the BCD... seems to have worked very well for me. Should float at eye level holding a normal breath and descend when you exhale.

I think the correct way to weight is near the surface and with a nearly empty tank. If you have the proper weight to be slightly negative then all situations are covered.

That said, when I am teaching and worried about students getting too buoyant I carry as much as 10 extra to ensure I can control their ascent if necessary. I hate carrying that extra weight though...

IMHO,

I believe a diver needs to be able to maintain neutral buoyancy at any depth in the water column.

500 psi is the typical end of dive reserve pressure.

A diver trimmed to neutral buoyancy with a full tank is going to be possitive at the end of the dive making a safety stop difficult.

Mike D

:blfish:

and then I still add about 1 lb. Not much sense in carrying a pony if you don't have enough weight to use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom