At what depth and with how much air do you weigh yourself neutral?

At what depth and with how much air do you weigh yourself neutral

• At surface

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • At 10 ft depth

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • At 15 ft depth

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Deeper than 15 ft depth

• Less than 500 psi in tank

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • With 500 psi in tank

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • With 500 psi to 1000 psi in tank

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • With full tank

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba said...
I've seen posts where non US divers use 700 psi as opposed to 500 psi to surface as a standard. Do you guys weigh yourself at 700 psi?

We surface at 50bar (actually 725psi), and yes, that's what I'd use to check my weighting. Except I'd aim to be ever so slightly heavy at 50bar (that is, I'd aim to have a small amount of air in my BC when neutral) so I have a small weight reserve in case of problems. I wouldn't run the tank down to below 50bar just to do a weight check.

Zept

Zept,

I'd aim to be ever so slightly heavy at 50bar (that is, I'd aim to have a small amount of air in my BC when neutral) so I have a small weight reserve in case of problems

Can you elaborate please.

In my mind the place to be neutral is 15-20 ft (5-6m) with 50 bar. Just because I've found it the most difficult place to remain neutral, and, IMHO, an important one. Again, I think about diving more than I actullu dive. And sex, well... :)

Scuba, I don't believe what you're asking is possible. I could edit the poll to give choices such as 1. surface with full tank. 2. surface with 500 PSI. 3. 15 feet with full tank. 4. 15 feet with 500 PSI. etc. Editing it after it begins would make the results worthless. Another option is for you to start a new thread with the poll set up properly and to close this poll.

Would it be possible to put two polls at the top of one thread? One for the depth, one for the tank pressure?

Scuba said...
Zept,

Can you elaborate please.

I agree with the people who say you should be able to achieve neutral buoyancy with an empty tank. However, it isn't practical for me to check buoyancy with an empty tank b/c 1) I rent tanks and my dive shop won't be happy if I empty them and 2) I don't really fancy being below the surface with an empty tank.

Since weights here come in 1kg (2lb) increments and my breathing and gear vary a bit from day to day, I don't feel the need to be enormously precise. If I can get neutral at the end of the dive, with a bit of air in my BC but not loads, I figure I'm okay.

Zept

Zept once bubbled...

I agree with the people who say you should be able to achieve neutral buoyancy with an empty tank. However, it isn't practical for me to check buoyancy with an empty tank b/c 1) I rent tanks and my dive shop won't be happy if I empty them and 2) I don't really fancy being below the surface with an empty tank.
Zept

I don't have exact value handy, but an AL80 holds about 5 lbs of air at 3000 psi. So if you establish neutrality at about 600 psi you just add 1 lb to compensate for the diff between 0 and 600 psi.

Back
Top Bottom