At what point do you run a line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wanted the DIR discussion on it, because I think it's one of the grey areas in DIR. I know what the "book" answer is: If you *must* make it back to the start/anchor, then you must run a line.

But what are the practical limits? What do we say versus what we do?
Out of curiosity - do you have any overhead training?

Yes, I do.

Give the video a few minutes. I just uploaded it.

To add to the discussion.

Here is a swimthrough:

Or is it an overhead?

It's an overhead because you can't ascend directly to the surface

and

Its a swimthrough because you can.... swim through it.

...I also find it's amusing that your answer Rick, is being taken as a "DIR" compliant one! :wink: ...
Sometimes I forget that I've stumbled into the DIR forum... and that everyone might not know that my perspective is a safe diving perspective regardless of what any given agency may advocate or ommit. IOW I am decidedly not "DIR."
However...
w/r/t DIR, there seems to be a camp emerging that has an idea that "everything that's not approved is prohibited" and I wonder if that's really in the spirit of DIR as George and JJ envisioned it (yeah, I know, George did say "all contingencies"). I'd think a better view would be "if something isn't proscribed, then it must meet the DIR test..." or something like that, and that the DIR test might go "Is it safe? Is it smart? Is it needed?" and that if it meets the test, then it can be declared "DIR"...
Rick

w/r/t DIR, there seems to be a camp emerging that has an idea that "everything that's not approved is prohibited" and I wonder if that's really in the spirit of DIR as George and JJ envisioned it (yeah, I know, George did say "all contingencies").
I hear ya! At risk of having my post deleted (do it if you must!) I think it goes even further - and this thread is a good example!!!! I'm not trolling OR trying to start a fight BUT....as I read it, the whole thrust of the thread is in some kind of denial that anyone except a "DIR" person might have a valid answer to the question. THAT'S why I don't think the thread belongs in this forum.

Any suggestion that ANY answer is only worthwhile if it's from a "DIR" source only serves to bolster the perception of arrogance that many feel. (which is hardly ever justified IMO....but here seems to exist ((also IMO))...)

Please...correct me if I'm wrong, because I really don't know (and KNOW I don't)....but I think this so called "grey area" is simply grey for some DIR divers because DIR/GUE has never specifically addressed the issue - therefore there IS no "DIR" answer. On the other hand - other agencies have...and as Rick quite rightly pointed out...have adopted practices that are decidely "safe diving practice". The concept of which I think is absolutely DIR!!! (i.e. Doing It Right)

For those agencies there is no grey area....or at least if there is...it's a LOT smaller! :wink:

I hear ya! At risk of having my post deleted (do it if you must!) I think it goes even further - and this thread is a good example!!!! I'm not trolling OR trying to start a fight BUT....as I read it, the whole thrust of the thread is in some kind of denial that anyone except a "DIR" person might have a valid answer to the question. THAT'S why I don't think the thread belongs in this forum.

Any suggestion that ANY answer is only worthwhile if it's from a "DIR" source only serves to bolster the perception of arrogance that many feel. (which is hardly ever justified IMO....but here seems to exist ((also IMO))...)

Please...correct me if I'm wrong, because I really don't know (and KNOW I don't)....but I think this so called "grey area" is simply grey for some DIR divers because DIR/GUE has never specifically addressed the issue - therefore there IS no "DIR" answer. On the other hand - other agencies have...and as Rick quite rightly pointed out...have adopted practices that are decidely "safe diving practice". The concept of which I think is absolutely DIR!!! (i.e. Doing It Right)

For those agencies there is no grey area....or at least if there is...it's a LOT smaller! :wink:

What part of "this forum is only for DIR answers" is so difficult for you people to understand? The OP said he wanted a DIR analysis so he should get it. Yes, there are a few situations that may not have been completely thought through by the more advanced DIR community and a "consensus answer" to the extent one is possible does not exist. But, at the level this forum operates, questions of such an advanced nature just doesn't get asked. So, there are definite DIR answers for just about everything discussed here.

Technically, there is steadfast answer for this question too. No direct ascent - always run a line. But, this is one of the very few cases where some deviation for real world practicality is almost universally practiced for "recreational" level dives.

What part of "this forum is only for DIR answers" is so difficult for you people to understand?...
We understand perfectly. Believe it or not, some folks have followed "DIR" since its inception quite closely, know "DIR" answers quite well, have watched in wonder as the original concept has been co-opted in many ways, but have rejected "DIR" in favor of their own way... Just as a student of any group can provide answers about the group and the group's practices without actually joining or becoming an advocate for the group, so one needn't adopt or even approve of DIR to be able to provide answers.
I ain't claiming to be an "authority" on DIR, but I ain't blind, either. :)
Rick

Technically, there is steadfast answer for this question too. No direct ascent - always run a line. But, this is one of the very few cases where some deviation for real world practicality is almost universally practiced for "recreational" level dives.
In that case it's Q.E.D. huh? :wink: If you don't want non-DIR answers then don't introduce them yourself. I'm not the one who described anything as "grey" - OR who needs to use "but" to claim that some kind of "deviation for real world" is somehow still DIR.

Still...you're completely right and if you'd immediately given the DIR answer of:
No direct ascent - always run a line.
Then I would not have posted anything. I'm quite happy if all posts except this answer are removed as this is clearly the DIR answer - thus the ONLY one allowed here!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom