At what water temp can I start diving wet in a 7mm suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

giantfan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I know this will vary alot from person to person but I am trying to get an idea when I can start diving here in NJ. I don't really have the $$$$ to go out and buy a drysuit but am really itching to get underwater. I have a 7mm wetsuit and am not very sensitive to cold.

In the dark ages, we wore 7mm suits while ice diving.

You answered your own question, though.... "I know this will vary alot from person to person"

I would say just go jump in the water and do some dives. As you noted it varies from person to person. Some people dive 40/50 degree water in a wetsuit. Me I am in a dry suit in 75 degree water. I would say that if you are cold after less than 20 minutes it was probably too cold for ya. If the dive lasts 40 minutes I would say your were fine.

So I assume what your saying is that I need to go out.... suit up..... jump in and see how I feel? Makes sense I guess. My boat is scheduled do go in the water today so I will be able to find out soon.

Seems like a noble experiment. Let us know how it works out.

This will depend on how long your dives are, and if you plan to do multiple dives in a day. A single dive for 30-40 minutes in the low 50’s F may be OK, but you will not be OK for longer dives, or three dives in a day like that. When the water gets up into the upper 50’s F to low 60’s F a 7 mm is an definite option and quite reasonable at 65F. At least that is the case for me, and you noted different people have different cold tolerances. Generally bigger people tend to be more cold tolerant.

If you are going to do multiple dives pay attention to how much heat you lose during the surface interval. Dry off and wear an ankle length “boat coat” and a hat to minimize the heat loss. Of course a hooded vest, gloves and booties will be needed for the lower temperatures.

Here I dive an old (over 10 years old) 2 piece 7 mil suit all the time and the water rarely gets much over 60 (usually low to mid 50's). In the peak of summer it almost made 65 on a few occasions and I was wishing that I had a thinner suit. And I usually do multiple dives lasting at least 30 minutes each. When it's cold out I do sometimes get a bit chilly on dives after the first one, but rarely uncomfortably so.

Give it a try. Start by planning only a single dive and if you feel ok afterward, plan your next trip for 2 dives. I've found that the big thing is staying warm between dives (like Mr Carch. mentions above). If I'm warm enough when I get in the water, I can keep warm throughout the dive. Boat coats are great, but I'd also I recommend taking a thermos of some hot fluid and drinking it between dives. Tea works great. You could also try a 2nd thermos with warm water to pour into your suit before you go back in.

Good luck

l dove the last weekend of lobster seeason in a wetsuit, it was 51 degrees for an hour and wasn't unbearably cold (I would've gotten out earlier if it were) but the past weekend I did 2 dives in the same temperature/same location not chasing lobster and was happy to be wearing my drysuit. Multiple dives in colder water will be much less comfortable in the wetsuit but if you are itching to go out - Go get wet, the joy of being underwater will most likely outweigh the discomfort of the colder water.... at least for the first dive :)

You're in Jersey, have a boat, and you're itching to dive? Let's see how many dive buddy requests you get now. LOL.

The best dive buddy is one that owns a boat.

Back
Top Bottom