Atenolol and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Since I can remember I have had a heart that occasionally beats irregularly. Its what my doctor termed as "as extra beat." I happen to be one of those people that constantly feel my heartbeat and I can feel when it gives the extra beat. It happens like this. Hearts beating fine when "boom boom", it beats twice in succession. It only happened 10 to 15 times in a day and since the doctor said that I was in no danger I have lived my life without thought of it. I have been an avid sky and scuba diver for several years. In September of last year it got worse. I started having the "extra beat" every three of 4 beats of my heart. This wasnt constant but happened several times during the day, lasting 1 to 3 hours but always getting worse at night so that it started effecting my sleep. Sometimes it sounded like my heart was "flopping all over the place" as my wife put it.
My doctor still said I was in no danger (even though it was happening thousands of times daily!?) but was concerned about the sleep loss. He prescribed me 50 ml Atenolol taken daily and my irregular heartbeat has improved although it hasnt completely corrected itself.
I gave up sky diving some years back and though I miss it, it would kill me to give up scuba diving. I may have to stay on this medicine for the rest of my life. But if I was givin a choice between scuba diving and a regular heartbeat on medication, I would give up the medicine and take a loss in the quality of life by living with a severely irregular heartbeat. Are there members here that are in the medical profession that could provide me with some information on this?

You assisted me with recommendations for thisn quadriplegic who was on his way to dive in the Similans. I am now hooked! It was remarkable and freeing!

Fourteen dives, 3 manta rays, 1 blown "O-Ring" and 10,000 memories. I look forward to doing more in this hemisphere.

Thank you
Daniel Barnes

PS I also Used a swiss seat with a block and tackle to easily get up and down on the multi-deck dive boat through the stairwells. nThis method would also work for getting an unconscious diver on board.

I have photos if you think there would be an interest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom