Athens Scuba Park For Sale!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DalTexDiver:
Anyone have any idea what he wants for it? I know I could not afford it but just curious. Don't think there is enough sand in the world to cover up all that clay. Are there really fish in there? Never saw one when I have dived there. Seemed like a dead zone as compared to Clear Springs.

The terms are posted. He is asking $1.15M.

No there are no fish.

TwoBit

The pH factor from the clay on the bottom will not permit plant life, and with no plant life, there are no fish.

ScubaTexan:
Let's see.....$1,000,000 divided by 33,885 Scubaboard members equals $29.51 per person. I could afford that! :D
I could too, and I think that would be cool too!!!!

Ok, I'll ask another question. Does anyone have a map "of" the park? The one they show on their site (or I'm lost hehe) is how to get "to" the park.

Charley

If you go back and look at one of the older books on diving Texas, there are pictures of fish in Athens.

The issue with the lake is that it has been treated with a coagulant for an extended period of time to improve the visibility. This has also affected the water chemistry. I don't know how long it would take for the chemistry to adjust back to proper levels to allow for fish life. There are plenty of reeds and cat tails along the edges.

TwoBit

:eyebrow: this could be fun maybe I will win the lottery WEd nite

Fish are less tolerant to alkalinity than plants, especially in comparison to hardy varieties like cattails and bulrush. Fish do not eat those species.

Second, most pond and lake freshwater fishes we're familiar with are carnivores. They require smaller fishes, insects, worms, crustaceans... basically some animal critter to subsist on.

With high alkaline ponds like Blue Lagoon and Athens Scuba Park, you have TWO factors to contend with in order to promote fish life.

1. Finding fish tolerant enough to survive there in the first place.
2. Maintaining a food supply for such species.

I'd suggest the aquaculture route and perform artificial feeding. Heck, make the divers do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom