Atlanta airport hotels with shuttle to the International Terminal? Advice please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Is there such a hotel at the airport? Most seem to go to the domestic terminal if anywhere and then one must ride another conveyance to the International. I saw the Renaissance Concourse hotel at the airport for $84., that sounds ok, but how far then to the shuttle to the International? We are flying to ATL in route to BON the next day. So to anyone who has done this, what's your advice?:cool2:

I don't know of any hotels that offer this. My experience over several trips has been that $20 covers cab fare and tip from most airport-area hotels to the international terminal. Hotel front desks are familiar with this request and are happy to arrange the cab for you at your specified time.

Enjoy your trip! We'll be going through ATL on our way to BON 3 weeks from today.

jimw; I think I tracked it down. I believe we stayed at the Airport Marriott. It is close, but they are off the approach/departure path, so the noise is down. Sensible rates as well, and they do international terminal runs.

Time to get to the airport isn't much, especially that early on a Saturday morning. Even from the Perimeter (the north part of I-285) it will not take more than 20-30 minutes.

See you that morning! Shirts are ordered, too!

I think that both domestic and international flights use the same check in area. We flew out of the "domestic" terminal to Cozumel in March.
No, they don't. You can get from one to the other, but it's not easy. Much simpler and faster to go in the international terminal.

Much of the popular destinations, like Coz and the Bahamas will go in and out of the domestic terminals, especially if customs clears you there in country.

Thanks for the correction TC.

jimw; I think I tracked it down. I believe we stayed at the Airport Marriott. It is close, but they are off the approach/departure path, so the noise is down. Sensible rates as well, and they do international terminal runs.

Time to get to the airport isn't much, especially that early on a Saturday morning. Even from the Perimeter (the north part of I-285) it will not take more than 20-30 minutes.

See you that morning! Shirts are ordered, too!

No, they don't. You can get from one to the other, but it's not easy. Much simpler and faster to go in the international terminal.

Much of the popular destinations, like Coz and the Bahamas will go in and out of the domestic terminals, especially if customs clears you there in country.

I think what you guys are referring to is the concourses, not the terminal, if you're flying international you must go through the international terminal. Even if you clear customs in another country you must pick up your bags in the international terminal in upstairs baggage claim instead of down in the customs baggage claim. Now with that being said, if you're carrying a lot of luggage, you may want to opt for the taxi. if not you'll have to transfer from one shuttle to the other. it will probably be a 10 min walk through the airport from the shuttle drop area to the shuttle pick up area.

I think what you guys are referring to is the concourses, not the terminal, if you're flying international you must go through the international terminal. Even if you clear customs in another country you must pick up your bags in the international terminal in upstairs baggage claim instead of down in the customs baggage claim.

Precleared international flights, like those from the Bahamas, will arrive in the domestic concourses, T-D. They had been fully cleared in that country by US Customs.
Now with that being said, if you're carrying a lot of luggage, you may want to opt for the taxi. if not you'll have to transfer from one shuttle to the other. it will probably be a 10 min walk through the airport from the shuttle drop area to the shuttle pick up area.
Otherwise, you're right; International will arrive at F concourse, you'll chat with Customs, then go to get your bag. It's downstairs for the connecting flights, but if you'll be spending the night before your next flight, or Atlanta is your final destination; there is the long walk from the Customs to baggage claim. But, that baggage claim delivers you into the South Terminal (Domestic) and you can walk just a little further to the shuttles.

I have used Hampton Inn Atlanta Airport (the one to the north of the airport) and La Quinta Inn for overnight stay between flights through Hartsfield-Jackson Airport. Both have free shuttle service (but I tipped the driver $5 in each case as they helped with the luggage). If one is staying overnight between 2 holidays, La Quinta is the better option because it has coin-operated laundry facilities.

Otherwise, you're right; International will arrive at F concourse, you'll chat with Customs, then go to get your bag. It's downstairs for the connecting flights, but if you'll be spending the night before your next flight, or Atlanta is your final destination; there is the long walk from the Customs to baggage claim. But, that baggage claim delivers you into the South Terminal (Domestic) and you can walk just a little further to the shuttles.

Not trying to get into an argument, but I've cleared customs in 2 countries, Aruba, and Bahamas. on the Bahamas flight we landed in A concourse and caught the tram to F, we had to wait an 2 hours for our bags because they went to domestic by mistake, we were supposed to pick them up in International upstairs baggage claim. from Aruba, we also picked our bags up in International we landed in E concourse . International flights that will clear customs will land at either E or F concourse depending on which one, someone is going to have make a long walk.

Now back to your original program already in progress :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom