Atlanta Aquarium Whale Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmitch3938

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Was wondering if anyone had gone to the Atlanta aquarium and did the whale shark dive there. Was thinking about making it one of the winter dives this year, it looks really cool, but was looking for some first hand experiences...thanks

You can actually book your dates on their calendar on the website and was actually going to do my trip depending on those dates..but looks like a fun dive during the winter

There was an earlier thread about this. You may want to search the Forum. Best I can remember it was expensive but enjoyable.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/deep-dixie-divers/249904-dive-report-atlanta-aquarium.html

I have done a whale shark expedition with the Shark research Institute in the Sea of Cortez. I enjoyed being in the water with juvenile sharks. The one's is the GA are about the size of the ones we tagged. For those that cannot travel, especially with some of the airfare prices, it is an easy way to get up close and personal with these beauties. There are quite a few species of sharks in that aquarium. If diving there is your thing, have a blast! You will not be allowed to touch any of the exhibits and they will supply all your gear like the Epcot dives do. I would recommend more divers particpating in shark type dives and also fighting for their continued protection!

Have fun!
Carolyn:shark2:

This is coming from a newbie!

I really enjoyed the dive in a hugh fish tank(GA Aquarium).It was like luxuary diving. They had all the gear set up pool side for you. They had a locker with your name, wet suit/boot size and towels already in them for you. You are guaranteed to see whale sharks, manta ray, hammer heads, and ton's of other fish. The whale sharks seemed to stay closer to the surface when I was there. So I spent a lot of time looking up at them.

The manta ray and hammer head were very curious about the divers. They came gliding by within a foot of me. It was like they were playing a game of chicken with me on there home turf.

The Aquarium also has swim/snorkel with the gentle giants too. It seemed to be a better way to see the whale sharks since they stay near the surface. Plus it seemed the swim had a little pony bottle with reg, so you could put you face underwater without using a snorkel but it did have a snorkel vest to keep you from diving under the water. Might be the best way to see the whale sharks?

There is alot more to my trip but I start rambling to much!:dork2:

The previous threads link is much more descriptive than my post.

I think its is cool, I can say I have been there done that once, but probably will not do it again, because of cost.

Safe diving
Tony

If they would let me take my own camera, I'd do it in a heartbeat :(

I agree $300 for a 30 min dive is very pricey. You can do the EPCOT dive in Disney World for half of that. Still it is a dive i would like to do at least once!!!

AL

Back
Top Bottom