Atlantic lionfish invasion story on NBC news tonight!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSkeeter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got this email today regarding the lionfish (volitans sp.) invasion of the Atlantic ocean. The Bahamas has an official "kill on sight" policy now. Not sure about the US.
=================================
Dear Diver!

For those of you who have expressed an interest in this project, we thought you might like to know that NBC Nightly News will be running a story tonight on the lionfish invasion in the Western Atlantic. Please check your local listing for exact times.

Lad Akins was interviewed and footage was shot while in the Bahamas recently for this update.

Spread the word! The more people are aware of this invasion, the better!

Regards,

Beth Oliveira

Blackbeard Cruises

US Reservations Office

3700-G Hacienda Blvd

Davie, FL 33314

I'm not sure how much impact this will have.

You would need KOS policies in:
Bermuda
the Atlantic US coast
the greater caribbean

Not to mention the Bahamas archipelago is HUGE. Much of it won't have divers killing lionfish on sight.

It may be time to accept the lionfish is a new member of the tropical western atlantic and just deal with the imbalance it creates.

I would like to know where these people were 8 years ago when the first lionfish was spotted
in N.C. The first one was seen by the crew of the Atlantis iv in Aug. 2000 and NOAA has been tracking them since. You would think they may have had a better chance of eradicating them then. Eight years later, I doubt they have a snowballs chance in hell. I've read studies and from
personal observation, I've seen none to very few on wrecks that have larger populations of grouper. I don't know if it really means anything, but I have hope that mother nature will figure it out.

I documented the very first Red Lion fish in the Turks & Caicos Islands in June 2007! We get involved and we will screw it up! Come up with a good recipe and an open season and limit and it will at least keep them in check! All the ocean are connected and if they aren't supposed to be hear nature will cause whatever it was that didn't have then hear in the first place.... They will be in the Caribbean until they aren't and we will never eliminate them and should we even try?

I personally think it is pointless to try to eradicate them given the time they have had to multiply. They are prolific breeders and seem to be quite at home. Like Papa Bear said - it is ONE ocean and things like this can happen with help from humans or they can happen naturally. Trying to control them now is like peeing on a forest fire.

There is also evidence in the Red Sea that the Cornetfish eats Lionfish.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/RedLionfish/RLionfish.html

Also check out: www.atlantischarters.net

Hi Dreamer,

Yes, you are correct, it would have been much easier to eradicate the pests then; however, the rules (US & Bahamas) did not allow killing since technically, there was no season on them - they were not listed in the "book". Also, many "scientists" wanted to "study" the situation first. I would mention that those folks should look at the other invasives and kill first, do the study later. The lionfish is a mid-level predator, much more serious than the emperor angels that are found in the Fl Keys.
That hesitation has cost the ecosystem dearly. I did call for KOS back in 2005 when I saw my first one in Nassau harbor. There is a predation system in the Indo-Pacific that keep them in check ( I'm not sure what tho).

Let's all get out on the lionfish capture cruises, have fun and accomplish something too!!

Here's a link to the news story:
MSNBC - Front Page

I got this email today regarding the lionfish (volitans sp.) invasion of the Atlantic ocean. The Bahamas has an official "kill on sight" policy now. Not sure about the US.

wow... why are they trying to kill them?

I saw a Lionfish diving in the Bahamas last weekend. only the 2nd time I've seen one.

I TIVO'd the show but haven't watched it yet.

I had my first lionfish sightings a few weeks ago off of Staniel Cay in the Exumas, apparently they are becoming quite common there. Strangely enough I do well over 100 dives a year off of South Florida and have never seen one here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom