Atom 3.0 spazzing out during dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefvagabond

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I just purchased my first computer, an Oceanic Atom 3.0 computer and used it for the first time over the labor day weekend. I like the computer very much but found the whole screen flickering during parts of my dive. Is this a problem with my device or a known issue that can be fixed through a firmware upgrade?

I know the air section will blink if it loses a connection to the transmitter, but I think everything else is not supposed to be flickering.

The flickering seemed pretty harmless, it would eventually go away, but it happened several times throughout my weekend. Can I get some help here on what I should do with it?

I'm including a video so you can see exactly what happened:
http://youtu.be/xRlg_3f2BZk
[video=youtube_share;xRlg_3f2BZk]http://youtu.be/xRlg_3f2BZk[/video]

I have the Atom 3.0 myself and love it. This happened to me the fist time I used it as well. Im not sure what caused it and I have never contacted Oceanic about it. It has not done it since, I think I will contact them now. If you contact them call and not e-mail you will get much better help.

I just bought the Atom 3.0 myself. I have not used it yet and am curious to know what Oceanic says. As I won't actually use it until December (luckily I have the Atom 1.0 also as a back up) I would like a posting of what the problem is, if any, and what Oceanic did to solve the problem.

Reefvagabond,

Did Oceanic reply with what the problem was and did the problem get resolved?

I dropped the computer off at oceanic directly since I don't live too far from them. My experience with Oceanic thus far has been awesome. However, I am the first person to contact them regarding this problem and they are looking into.

I would encourage anyone experiencing the same thing to contact Oceanic directly. Like I said, their support and professionalism has far exceeded my expectations.

Call them at:
Phone (510) 562-0500
Toll Free (800) 435-3483

My geo 2 did the same due to a faulty sensor, they fixed it and it did it again due to a messed up power connector.
the geo 2 and 3 are exactly the same hardware (minus the LCD), it just runs a different firmware.

Update: I have sent my computer to Oceanic TWICE and still have the same problem. Now that my computer is no longer under warranty they have ignored my last email showing them the problem still exists and that it was apparently never fixed.

---------- Post added February 13th, 2013 at 08:10 AM ----------

new video as of Jan 2013, it's STILL happening. Oceanic NEVER told me what the problem was, just that they "fixed it". I am very disappointed.
Oceanic Atom 3.0 Flickering and Spazzing Out During Dive - YouTube

So I was able to get in touch with Oceanic through another channel and I have to admit I am pretty impressed with their customer service. They took my computer back for repairs without charging me despite my warranty having run out. I was told today that they found the problem and replaced the defective part. It is currently undergoing testing and will be ready for me on Friday. Further more the warranty will be extended. I'm very much looking forward to getting my computer back and doing some diving this weekend. I hope to report back that the unit is working!

I just wanted to update this thread. I took the computer out for two dives on March 9th and didn't notice anything. I will be doing a lot more diving in the coming weeks and will post again an update on how the computer is doing. So far so good, I'll keep my fingers crossed and of course, thank you Oceanic for the amazing customer service.

Did a little freediving this past weekend. So far so good! I never noticed any problems while in freediving mode before though. I'll be scuba diving the next two weekends and will report back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom