Atomic B2 or Scubapro Mk25/A700 Owners: Pro / Cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, but I don't use the knob to tune it per se.
You use it for tuning while diving!
That's the purpose of having it.
I do not understand people pretending that the knob must stay always fully out. At that point the knob is useless...
Instead I adjust it frequently, depending on conditions, trim, current, etc.
It is almost never fully out...

I think you mean Air 2 (type) combo inflator/regulator, not safe second? I am seriously considering this DGX BCI:

And if so, I would still be primary long hose donate but the long hose under my arm would be 40 inches, not my current 60 inches and of course no necklaced secondary being replaced by the Air 2. But, a couple of summers now ago, I ran into the brick wall reality of a substandard pancake style octopus secondary was simply not up to the task (Oceanic pancake octopus) of supplying me air under duress and strenuous conditions. Therefore I am dubous of the Air 2 (type) combo regs as well for the same reason. But still considering it.

OP, sorry, off subject, blame me, but I think if you are still around your questions have been answered by one of us?

Yes, I thought "safe second" was a somewhat generic term for that style of inflator/reg. On reflection, I think maybe "Safe Second" is the Atomic name for theirs. And "Air 2" is, perhaps, the ScubaPro name for theirs?

I see what you mean about minimizing by just having your primary on a hose long enough to donate.

The Atomic and ScubaPro "air 2s" are CLAIMED to breathe as well as their other, conventional, 2nd stages. But then, I imagine the Oceanic pancake octo was, too... And the DGX "air 2" probably is, also...

I suppose we're down to "six of one, half a dozen of the other". I'll concede that your plan is even more "minimal" than my config. But, I just cannot get onboard with that "air 2" style of reg and my plan being that I will breathe off of it in an emergency situation. Ima stick with my slightly-less-minimal arrangement. :)

Besides, I'm about to have a TFX as my primary. Why would I ever let anyone else breathe off that?!? I'm going to put a gag strap on it and tell them to bury me with it on my face. :wink: lol!

I do not understand people pretending that the knob must stay always fully out. At that point the knob is useless...

^Angelo knows what's up. :) Exactly. If it's always going to stay fully out, then why even have an adjustment?

I like to adjust mine so that with the knob fully out, it is just barely on the verge of a slight freeflow. There's no point in being able to open the knob any further than that.

After a few dives and the seat takes a little bit of a set, it will generally start to hiss just slightly when the knob is fully open. That's when I start keeping the knob turned just a little back from that, to stop it hissing.

I'm in the market for a new reg and considering an Atomic B2 or Scubapro mK25/A700. What do you love or hate about yours? Or mildly like or dislike?

My current reg has lots of delicate plastic parts, a few of which have broken, so I'm particularly interested in durability.

Also do you use the central lp port on the turret for your primary reg? Is routing the other hoses convienient when doing that? I'm thinking it would help point my AI transmitter in direction where it doesn't look like the tank valve and invite "Helpful" individuals to ensure it is "open". I dive a back inflate BCD with a regular primary/octo setup.

I work part time at a shop with a generous employee discount and they only carry Scubapro and Huish brands so I am not considering Aqualung/APEC/Deep6/DGX etc. No need to suggest these instead.

Thanks!
I have actually used both of these and don't dive either of them. They are both great regulators and give you air, I just found they were both dry to breath. When dialed in almost all regulators breath pretty easy so I wouldn't worry about that. You should be focused on what you are looking for ( meaning different) in a new regulator. My opinion doesn't count that much as I much prefer diving OTS FFM which isn't comparing apples to apples here. FYI my standard reg is an oasis that is probably 20 years old. It gets the job done when not using FFM. If you really aren't diving over 100 feet, performance of regulator isn't going to be noticeable. If you are servicing your own regs, I would probably consider the Atomic a little more.

In Short, don't over think this, can I get it serviced easily would be my main concern.

I think differences in wording/terminology.

I'm talking about servicing only not usage once serviced. Other than screwing knob all the way out prior to tuning/adjusting lever height at time of actual servicing it does not affect "tuning".

I'm not talking about using the knob while diving once reg has been serviced, of course it's there to be used as conditions dictate and will increase cracking (tuning) if you screw it in.

I do not know of a single reg where when servicing the knob is set to any position other than all the way out prior to initial tuning after servicing.

FTR I tune all my G250 to very slightly leak with knob all the way out. When diving I just slightly screw knob in to stop leak.

I do not call that tuning myself but just using the knob when I'm actually diving it but if you want to call that tuning too that's ok, semantics🙏🏻

Back
Top Bottom