Question Apeks MTX-RC (0.9 J/l) vs Scubapro MK25 A700 (0.51 J/l)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AISM

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Now I am in market for a regulator and I'm torn between Apeks MTX-RC and Scubapro MK25 A700/S600.
I dive mostly in the Red Sea and warm water, but I want the easiest regulator with the least WOB and high reliability, money isn't a big issue here.

I emailed Apeks to ask for the WOB of MTX-RC and they relied with the total WOB is 0.9 j/l, without specifying the depth, RMV nor temps.
On the other hand, I found a graph showing the WOB for Scubapro MK25 A700 (0.51 J/l) and MK25 with S600 (0.65 j/l).

Apeks MTX-RC (0.9 J/l) V.S MK25 with S600 (0.65 j/l)

Does a human capable of feeling a difference of (0.25 j/l)?
How would (0.25 j/l) impact comfort or anything?

Should the WOB be part of the process of choosing a regulator at all?
I really don't know which one to go with, I like the look of both (tried none of them) and I can get them both serviced locally.

1_s600_a700: PRECISION CRAFTMANSHIP: A700 REGULATOR. INTRODUCING THE A700: SCUBAPRO’s A700 2 ND STAGE Unique work of art Exceptional breathing performance A regulator. - ppt download
2_Scubadiving_MTX-RC: The Best Scuba Regulators of 2020 Reviewed

Based on experience and knowledge, which one do you recommend?

Attachments

• 1_s600_a700.jpg
    1_s600_a700.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 2_Scubadiving_MTX-RC.PNG
    2_Scubadiving_MTX-RC.PNG
    69.6 KB · Views: 116
Hey Guys,

Now I am in market for a regulator and I'm torn between Apeks MTX-RC and Scubapro MK25 A700/S600.
I dive mostly in the Red Sea and warm water, but I want the easiest regulator with the least WOB and high reliability, money isn't a big issue here.

I emailed Apeks to ask for the WOB of MTX-RC and they relied with the total WOB is 0.9 j/l, without specifying the depth, RMV nor temps.
On the other hand, I found a graph showing the WOB for Scubapro MK25 A700 (0.51 J/l) and MK25 with S600 (0.65 j/l).

Apeks MTX-RC (0.9 J/l) V.S MK25 with S600 (0.65 j/l)

Does a human capable of feeling a difference of (0.25 j/l)?
How would (0.25 j/l) impact comfort or anything?

Should the WOB be part of the process of choosing a regulator at all?
I really don't know which one to go with, I like the look of both (tried none of them) and I can get them both serviced locally.

Based on experience and knowledge, which one do you recommend?
Properly tuned, you’re not going to notice a difference. I’d go MK19/G260 or MK19/D420, but that’s legacy Scubapro+diaphragm bias, as well as anti A700 bias.

I have used and own many of Scubapro regulators since mid 90's and they are among the best out there. I doubt that you will notice that almost insignificant difference in WoB however. The MK25 is a well established first stage with very long history of reliability and top of the line performance. The A700, s600, S620Ti, G260, D420 are also top of the line second stages. The new MK19 first stage is a top of the line. You can't go wrong with any of their regulator combos and you will never regret getting any one of them.

Hi

WOB might be one factor to consider, not too important factor with a modern second stage. Another one is the weight of the second stage in water.

Best wishes Jens

Hi

WOB might be one factor to consider, not too important factor with a modern second stage. Another one is the weight of the second stage in water.

Best wishes Jens
Regarding the weight of the second stage, I think the S620TI is about 170-180 grams (about 6.2oz) were is MTX-RC is about 270 grams (about 9.5oz), but MTX-RC is bigger thus have more space filled with air so more buoyant??

If you are fastidious in your post dive maintenances it's prolly a tossup between the two. However, if you're like me and sometimes you can't be arsed to truly care for your gear post dive, go with the Apeks.

The MK25 is an unsealed piston and needs good cleaning post dive. The A700 is a chunk of metal that needs just as much if not more rigorous cleaning.

Embrace the sloth. Embrace sealed 1st stages and plastic 2nds.

I have a Mk11, Mk25 and a Mk19, I also have the G260, D420, S600 and the S620ti. My favorite combo is the Mk19/G260 tuned by R Singler. It has the lowest WOB of those combos. Having said that 2 Atomic ST1's that I have rival the Mk19/G260. Again tuned by Rsingler. I also have the Apeks XTX 200 with the fifth port added...It also rivals the G260 and the ST1's. And also tuned by Rsingler. I tried the 700 and wasn't fond of it. Out of the box the ST1's "breathed" just a little easier than any of the others. The Apeks XTX200 was just as easy but clearly I am neurotic about my regs and I wanted to be positive that it had the newest HP seat material so I sent it to Rsingler. Notice the pattern....it's Rsingler

I have a Mk11, Mk25 and a Mk19, I also have the G260, D420, S600 and the S620ti. My favorite combo is the Mk19/G260 tuned by R Singler. It has the lowest WOB of those combos. Having said that 2 Atomic ST1's that I have rival the Mk19/G260. Again tuned by Rsingler. I also have the Apeks XTX 200 with the fifth port added...It also rivals the G260 and the ST1's. And also tuned by Rsingler. I tried the 700 and wasn't fond of it. Out of the box the ST1's "breathed" just a little easier than any of the others. The Apeks XTX200 was just as easy but clearly I am neurotic about my regs and I wanted to be positive that it had the newest HP seat material so I sent it to Rsingler. Notice the pattern....it's Rsingler
What type of diving you do? Rec/Tec

Rec

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom