Scubapro MK25Evo/S620Ti vs. Apeks xtx50?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason Gom

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anyone give a guidance on choosing my first regulator set between MK25/s620Ti or xtx50? I don't doubt that any of these regulators will be a perfect choice, but I want to find out a more suitable regulator for me.

I am a vacation diver and rarely dive below 15 degree Celsius. The most important factors to be taken into account are the ease of breathing in any depth and position within recreational dive range and durability. Less weight can be another consideration but it is not a dominant factor. I don't have immediate plan to use side mount but want to leave it open.

I almost decided to buy xtx50 based on the comments of previous threads comparing Scubapro and Apeks, or s600 and xtx200/50, and the ScubaLab test report issued in 2013.
(ScubaLab: 2013 Scuba Reg Review)

However, the Scubapro's promotional material that saids s620 Ti reduced WOB 37% over the S600 and the Scubalab's 2017 review of s620 Ti makes me complicated:
(20 Scuba Diving Regulators Reviewed By ScubaLab)

Has anyone had experience with both regulators and give any comments on pros and cons? or other recommendations?

Both are good, both will serve you well, pick the one that you think looks best and that is easy to find service for in your area or learn to service them yourself and go Atomic

I have no experience with any Apeks regs.

I do have Mk25 EVO regs with both S620Ti and G260 2nd stages.

To me, no matter what the machine says, the S620Ti breathes about the same as my Dive Rite and Hollis regs.

On the other hand, I feel like the G260 feels just a little bit nicer to breathe. I loaned a reg set to a friend - a Mk25 EVO with an S620Ti and a G260 on it, both on identical hoses. She dived them and swapped back and forth and agreed that the G260 felt just a little nicer. All the other instructors at my shop all seem to agree that they prefer the G260 over anything else.

And, the G260 seems to be a lot less noisy under water than the S620Ti.

Regarding the S620Ti improvement in WOB over the S600, I will simply note that ALL the improvement came from a redesigned exhaust tee. It is NO different on the inhale. Only on the exhale. Personal opinion is that easier exhale really just doesn't make that much difference to the overall breathing comfort. At least, not at the level that the S600 is already performing.

Bonus, the G260 is less expensive, as well. Its only downside, compared to the S620Ti is it's a little bulkier and a little heavier. I don't think it makes ANY difference in the water and minimal difference to packing and carrying around - to me, anyway. I suspect that being physically larger is part of the reason it feels nicer to breathe. I.e. a larger volume of air inside the reg to draw from as you're creating the pressure that cracks the valve open. But, that's just a guess.

Like I said, I can't really comment on the Apeks. But, if you're going ScubaPro, I would choose the Mk25 EVO + G260 over the Mk25 EVO + S620Ti.

The G260 is a nice reg an a better design how the parts are assembled in the barrel compared to the S600. I seriously dont understand how the S600 is the more expensive reg.

The XTX is assembled in the same manner, and after having an S600, G260, XTX50, i would buy an Apeks again or a G260 without question.

I haven't dived either one, but I sell and have worked on the XTX range, so I can speak a bit to that. First, be sure to read the manufacturer website, I won't repeat ALL of it here, just some notable features.

Two notes on the first stage - There are two versions available in the US, the DST has a swivel, and the DS4 does not. Some folks love the swivel, but some folks hate it. Also, the website doesn't clue you in that both 1st stages do NOT have a removable valve seat/crown - it is part of the body. The significance there is that if you ever manage to damage/nick the sealing edge, you need to replace the whole body and not just the small part. That is VERY unlikely to happen if you take good care of your gear - it is not easy to get some debris inside of the body to do damage, but it does happen.

A few notes on the second stage - braided hose is a plus, as is the user changeable exhaust tee. Both a venturi lever, and a cracking pressure adjustment for detuning in strong currents, etc.

Work of Breathing is .70 joules/liter for all 3 XTX models sold in the US. - this is the same as the Aqualung Legend, and the lowest spec in the Aqualung/Apeks line up. A note of caution comparing across brands - there is no guarantee that everyone sets their ANSTI machine the same when producing their specs. Aqualung/Apeks sets to the same testing standards as the EN250A test, which is deeper than most recreational divers go, on lower cylinder pressure than I would want to be at that depth, and at a significant breathing rate. Bottom line - the WOB is really good, in what I would call a "premium" range.

both are good regs and i wouldn't hesitate to take either for dives in water warmer than 15C. the s600 will be a little lighter and it seems more popular with more petite divers.

the pricing is bad on both though at retail from a LDS for most of the world. the apeks is not as bad if you buy from 4th element where it runs about 420 usd or 550 usd with a matching xtx50 octo.

Oh yeah, how could I forget - aside from thinking down the road to where you will be able to get it serviced, there is also the "Free Parts For Life" issue. When purchased from and serviced by an Authorized dealer, Aqualung/Apeks will cover you for the service kits when you bring it in for alternating inspections and overhauls annually. (So your first overhaul is year 2) That of course does not include labor costs. I am less familiar with Scubapro, but my understanding is that you may need to buy a full gear package for that to apply, and they are very rigid with the service dates, so you can easily miss a date and be out of their program with no appeal or recourse.

Again, this is all relevant to the US market, not sure where you are buying or what offers like that are outside the US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom