Apeks ATX50 from 2001 - still good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep the reg.

I bought my TX50 in 1998/9 and is still my work horse(rec/tec).
Dead easy to service it(DIY), getting the spare part is the only issue in some countries.
TX series is more bulky than ATX.

Proper name for the most common Apeks 1st stages: FSR, DST and DS4. I believe FST is no longer produced. There are others but not that common eg. UST, US4.
Keep the reg.

I bought my TX50 in 1998/9 and is still my work horse(rec/tec).
Dead easy to service it(DIY), getting the spare part is the only issue in some countries.
TX series is more bulky than ATX.

Proper name for the most common Apeks 1st stages: FSR, DST and DS4. I believe FST is no longer produced. There are others but not that common eg. UST, US4.
Wow, 35 25 years, certainly older than mine and if that’s the case my reg still has a lot of life left. I believe I can buy the parts easily enough here but only see XTX versions, which I assume is compatible with the ATX? Did you learn how to service it from a dive shop or is it something I can possibly learn from YouTube videos? Also, I always assumed that the service tech used special equipment to test it before use, how do you do it yourself? Do you just attach it to a tank and check how it breathes?
I’m pretty sure my first stage is a DST since it had a swivel turret.

Thanks for the advice!

If (since) they can still be srviced and were just serviced by a trusted technician then there is no reason to purchase a new set. However, if you just want new regulators the economy will appreciate your expenditure. And maybe keep them for a spare set. In fact, your regs sound perhaps a little bit over serviced :wink:.
Haha, I did read a recent post about Apeks vs Scubapro regs where someone was saying they only serviced their Apeks every 5 years! And saw a news article about an XTX50 that survived 3 years submerged in the sea and
“Despite everything they had been through, despite three years of lying in salt water, the entire XTX50 stage three set performed at a standard that would pass the EN250A cold water regulation – straight off the seabed”

How often does everyone service their regs? Do you base it on dives instead of an annual service?
Thank you!

Personally if it's not broken don't fix it.

Even hoses. I have 30years or older lp and hp hoses, and I would say they are better than some new stuff.

I do tend to dive fresh water so I am sure there is a difference that way.

O rings,
Normally lp disconnect and hp swivel get done usually 1-1.5 years,
But that's because there's a slow leak.

It’s highly likely your gear will work fine right now, including the SS1, I wouldn’t pass up the opportunity (justification, excuse) for the new gear though, then service this stuff and keep it as a back up set :wink:

Personally if it's not broken don't fix it.

Even hoses. I have 30years or older lp and hp hoses, and I would say they are better than some new stuff.

I do tend to dive fresh water so I am sure there is a difference that way.

O rings,
Normally lp disconnect and hp swivel get done usually 1-1.5 years,
But that's because there's a slow leak.
True, will check the hoses and ask if they are still in good condition. Thanks for the info!

It’s highly likely your gear will work fine right now, including the SS1, I wouldn’t pass up the opportunity (justification, excuse) for the new gear though, then service this stuff and keep it as a back up set :wink:
Haha, yeah it’s an opportunity for sure! Just not sure if I would ever get to use it as a backup once I have the new gear, and wouldn’t I need to service it again after a few years anyway even if I never use it? Thanks!

Haha, yeah it’s an opportunity for sure! Just not sure if I would ever get to use it as a backup once I have the new gear, and wouldn’t I need to service it again after a few years anyway even if I never use it? Thanks!
Never say never, I always bring a complete backup set even if I don’t use it, a few months ago I forgot to pack my primary reg set (weird busy week ) and ended up using the back up once I reset my computer to that transmitter. Stuff happens and you’ll be in a easy diving location.

Never say never, I always bring a complete backup set even if I don’t use it, a few months ago I forgot to pack my primary reg set (weird busy week ) and ended up using the back up once I reset my computer to that transmitter. Stuff happens and you’ll be in a easy diving location.

I second this advice.

In fact, your regs sound perhaps a little bit over serviced :wink:.
Overall probably right, but a 4 year idle period probably does justify a service.

I am tempted to get new gear for safety / peace of mind, but if a 20+ year old Apeks is still serviceable and safe to dive with, and I'm not compromising anything, may just stick with it. Also, it doesn't seem like there has been much new innovation or technological advances in the past 20 years that scream "must upgrade!", otherwise it would be an easier decision... would you agree?
I have been diving lately with a set regulators made before 1988. Work almost as good as my 2 year old ones, and it is a lot of fun to get comments from other divers. Old well service regulators are just as safe as new regulators.

You only need to buy new regulators if you can not get service (or parts if you DIY), or if you (or someone else) abused your old regulators.

But sometimes buying new is fun anyway!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom