Atomic B2 swivel and miflex hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teddyg04

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Love the miflex hoses, but my LDS and I couldn't figure out how to attach one with my primary: B2 with swivel. Atomic hasn't gotten back to them yet, so thought I'd see if anyone here had some experience. Anyone?

......I'm assuming you want to 'combine' the Atomic 2nd-stage swivel with a Miflex hose...unfortunately, you're going to have to choose between them......the Atomic swivel is integrated into the Atomic hose and isn't a separate part that can be attached to a Miflex hose...unless somehow you have Atomic manufacture you a custom hose (Miflex with Atomic swivel).

Karl

I believe Atomic now makes a special swivel that screws on the end of a standard regulator hose.

If you want to screw the Miflex hose directly onto the B2 second stage (instead of the swivel hose) you will have to use the "jamb nut" as a spacer between the Miflex fitting and the second stage body (on the threaded barrel) to fill the gap.

Would that be the universal swivel? And if so, does it work with their regs?

Hmm, if my dive store could not figure it out I think I would look for another. As noted the swivel hose that comes with the B2 is not separable into a hose and swivel. Also noted you can get a separate swivel. But I think the milflex and swivel is overkill. But it ain't my money.

I just checked Atomics website. The swivel I was thinking of is attached to an Atomic hose for use on other brands of second stages (like ScubPro).

I agree with Scared Silly on not needing both. I have a 22" Miflex hose on my Atomic SS1 octo/inflater. After using it on a few dives I think the Atomic swivel and a Miflex hose on a traditional second stage would be overkill.

Hmm, if my dive store could not figure it out I think I would look for another. As noted the swivel hose that comes with the B2 is not separable into a hose and swivel. Also noted you can get a separate swivel. But I think the milflex and swivel is overkill. But it ain't my money.
Agree.

I have the 22" Miflex inflator, and 36" Miflex on my octo (an Apex XTX50).
I intend to put a Miflex on both my and my wife's Atomic B2 primaries. Once the hose is pressurized, the swivel (for me, at least) can only be manipulated by hand, and while you can change the angle of the swivel manually, it doesn't alleviate changes in angle when you're looking up, down, and to the sides, as much as the Miflex with no swivel, which stays almost as flexible pressurized as non-pressurized.

The Miflex has much less "jaw push" effect than the standard hose with swivel (I put this to the test switching between my octo and primary at depth).

I understand ScubaToys carries the proper jamb nut for making the switch.

Atomic 2nd stage swivel and regular LP hose are integrated and manufactured in the shop. They are NOT separable. I agree with the comments above of combining Miflex hose and 2nd stage swivel is way unnecessary, i.e. wearing both a belt and suspenders altogether.

Atomic makes universal 2nd stage swivel hose for all brands. This universal version CAN be connected to Atomic regulator by using a coupling. Atomic specific version however CANNOT be connected with any other 2nd stage regulator.

... way unnecessary, i.e. wearing both a belt and suspenders...

Now hold on there Tex, the suspenders are for holding up ya pants. The belt is for holding up the buckle. :rofl3:

Okay, did the replacement of the swivel hose on my Atomic B2 with the Miflex, and it worked just fine.

Here's what you need, and what you need to do:

2745650214_085db1e7ef_m.jpg

There are two pieces to remove from the (blue) B2, as pictured above:
- You remove the swivel hose (seems obvious, just by unscrewing the hose, which removes the ball joint and attached hose).
- Then you remove the piece shown in the pic between the 2nd stage and the swivel hose. This is done by gently prying up the rubber trim ring, and using a wrench to unscrew it (you'll see wrench notches under the rubber trim ring to accomplish this).
- At this point you can see the B2 compared to a standard reg (Apex above), and both have the same size threaded posts. However, the B2 post is longer.
- To compensate for the longer post on the B2 you'll need the jamb nut spacer, available from ScubaToys for $7.95 (minus your 10%), pictured below the B2 threaded post.
- All that's left to do, is remove the O-ring left on the B2 threaded post (you don't need it with a standard hose), screw on the jamb nut tightly, and screw on your Miflex.

Works like a charm...

Dive safe...

Back
Top Bottom