Atomic Cobalt Deco Warning Message- Anyone ever receive this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are there a number of such incidents? Possible explanations in this case include a glitch in the Cobalt's decompression calculations, or divers ascending faster than the decompression model prefers. The dive profile would help sort this out.

Well, I'd be happy to look at the profiles, but just on the surface (sorry) it seems these both could have legitimately been dives that went into deco.

Ron

Don't have the Cobalt. I can tell you that early on in my diving with a computer I got placed into deco from overly fast ascent rates. In fact the computer taught me to ascend much more slowly than what I had been doing without a computer. Since learning that lesson, I have done lots of long and deep dives, and have never had the problem again. If you have a laptop download program, you might be able to look at your profile and see if you got ascent rate warnings during the dive (in my case, I have had Suunto computers and I use MacDive to view my dive profiles).
The Cobalt won't put you into deco because of rapid ascents, though it will give you a warning and log a violation for an extended rapid ascent. And you don't need to download the dives, as you can step through at a detailed graphic profile right on the computer, Cobalt Guide: Dive Log: Dive Profile.

Ron

Hi All- I am the original poster of this thread and wanted to post an update. We contacted Atomic and it seems that there was a error in the original program that caused this error message... the fix is rather simple- the Year on the computer (dd/mm/yyyy) did not rollover from 2011 to 2012, thereby causing confusion to the poor little Atomic Cobalt... Owners need to manually change the Year to 2012 and the Cobalt will then function normally.

Hi All- I am the original poster of this thread and wanted to post an update. We contacted Atomic and it seems that there was a error in the original program that caused this error message... the fix is rather simple- the Year on the computer (dd/mm/yyyy) did not rollover from 2011 to 2012, thereby causing confusion to the poor little Atomic Cobalt... Owners need to manually change the Year to 2012 and the Cobalt will then function normally.

Wow I did not realize decompression physics changed from year to year like that.

Well, if you had a dive in the previous year at just the right time, and the Cobalt was looking at the saturation from that dive, then it could possibly explain your having less time than you expect. Did you have a dive on the "real" date in Jan 2011? Just the date variance would not explain it. And from what you say about your profiles, you would have been very close to, and likely over, no-deco limits if this dive were part of a repetitive series. If you have downloaded your dives, I'd be happy to check out the profiles and see what was happening.

There was an error in the date check routine on some firmware versions- basically anything after 1.10- that meant the Cobalt didn't update the year. That will be fixed for next year:D.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom